Arboreality here, I'd like to introduce myself

Discussion in 'Introductions' started by Arboreality, 28 August 2018.

1. Arboreality

Arboreality Member

Hello everyone, I only recently heard about this forum, but I decided to join it as soon as possible. I've been looking for a good Traditionalist-centered online community for a while now. I was born and raised in Idaho, but since then I've moved to the countryside and established a homestead with my wife so we could start a family. I officially discovered Traditionalism when I was 19 when I found and read The Crisis of the Modern World (Pallis translation).

I've studied it and its authors ever since. My interests are varied, I have a real knack for permaculture and home repair. I enjoy reading about history, philosophy, spirituality, and biology. Of course, I'm not picky, I crave reading in general. Aside from that, I enjoy fiction series along the lines of The Book of the New Sun or Dune. Ancient epics and religious texts never fail to pique my interest as well. I have children so I don't always get to read as much as I used to, but I am able to squeeze in at least 30,000 words a day.

Learning languages, especially ancient ones, is also a longtime hobby of mine. I mainly focus on Indo-European languages, not speaking them as much as being able to read them well. I enjoy hiking and camping in my local area, which fortunately gives me plenty of opportunities to do so. If my name didn't give it away, I am a truly big fan of nature, I always have been to some extent. I'd say my discovery of Perennial Wisdom only increased this passion.

I was raised in a devoutly irreligious household, but my current views can be a bit hard to explain. You could consider me an eclectic because I study and to some degree, practice a wide variety of religions integrated into my worldview. There's always that pitfall of syncretism to avoid, but I believe that more or less many religions have some basis in a singular Truth, obviously some more than others, but I strive to build a path that is based on the natural and healthiest order, pure Hypercosmia.

I recommend the work of András László if you're interested in more about that. My worldview is largely the composite of various Pagan/Shamanic traditions, Neoplatonism, Zoroastrianism, Hinduism, Daoism, and Buddhism respectively. Stoicism inspires a lot of my day-to-day attitude and I definitely recommend the writings of Seneca and Aurelius for this reason. My beliefs have strongly pantheistic, biohistorical, and Deep Ecological overtones, if you've ever heard of the Biotradition movement in Europe, think along the lines of that.

It's similar to something the poet Homer said. In Homer, the perception of an uncreated and ordered cosmos is accompanied by a magical vision carried by ancient myths. The myths are not beliefs, but the manifestation of the Divine in the world. For example, one could say that the forests, the rocks, the wild beasts have a soul that Artemis protects. The wheel of the archetypes, each transmitting something of itself to those who will follow, thereby not just assuring a measure of Truth but furthermore a measure of Eternity. I could talk about this stuff for hours.

My goals in terms of personal spirituality are, in order, investigating myself, mastering myself, cultivating myself, and ultimately Realizing myself. I mentioned this before, I've been looking for a forum like this one for a while. I know plenty of Traditionalist and Tradition-inclined people in real life, but I always enjoy meeting and learning from new ones. In general I seek wisdom from anywhere that I can find it. I am really looking forward to my time on this site, even moreso to meeting you all. If any of you have questions, feel free to ask them.

• Like Like x 2
    • Interesting Interesting x 1
  2. Werifesterian

Werifesterian Senior Member

Welcome!

Also The Book of the New Sun is easily one of my favorite literary works.

3. Arboreality

Arboreality Member

Definitely, truly a masterpiece of literary skill, even a religious text in its own way. It even uses a surprising amount of sacral archetypes and language that could be interpreted as allusions to Traditionalism.

4. RabGospodnyy

RabGospodnyy Member

Welcome to the forum! I look forward to studying Traditionalism together with you!

Two questions:

- Which languages have you studied?
    - Have you ever had any contact with other Biotraditionalists? I think I briefly spoke with a Swede who followed that school of Traditionalism once, but I'm not quite sure. Was wondering if you might know him by any chance.

5. Arboreality

Arboreality Member

If we're talking the ancient languages, mainly Classical Latin, Paścimottarī Sanskrit, and Old Western Norse. I'm upper-independent reading-wise and at threshold orally when it comes to Swedish, Spanish, Italian, and German. I'm decent with Icelandic, Norwegian, Danish, and French, but not nearly as good. Aside from that, I dabble in a ton of other languages. Most of my focus when studying languages is reading, as I mentioned before. I've put aside an hour or two for studying them almost everyday for years.

I've met a handful of them in real life and have had interactions with some on Tumblr, Discord, and Reddit. Beyond that, I'm afraid not. It's a relatively small movement as a whole and almost all of them are in Europe.

6. Manu

Manu Señor Member Sustaining Member
    1. Norden
    2. Knights of the Iron Cross

I have seen you before, somewhere, haven't I? Your nickname is familiar, or I am pre-cognizant.

We largely share views, as well. Can't find fault with anything you have written. You obviously are looking for Truth.

So you know about permaculture and survivalism. Do you know about reincarnation and specifically your own past lives yet?

7. Arboreality

Arboreality Member

We might have met somewhere, I've found that the online Traditionalist community is surprisingly tightly knit. My nickname is a linguistic pun I thought of one day. You could read it as Arboreal-ity or Arbo(r)-reality. It's a reference to the Takelma, their language has a word that best translates into English as, "nature worship." However, if you wanted to be literal, you'd translate it as, "tree-reality" as in how trees or rather nature metaphysically relates to existence and especially how humans interact with them. The Takelma's traditional worldview emphasizes that nature is, "more real" than anything that humans could think up, invent, craft, or otherwise create.

I really appreciate you saying that particularly because I've read some of your posts on here and you obviously know your stuff very well, probably even better than me. It seems we're both very interested in Vedic and Nordic spirituality.

I've studied reincarnation quite a bit, and I've delved into my past lives to some extent. Nothing too glamorous or tantalizing but it was eye opening in terms of certain parts of my personality and more importantly flaws that I needed to work on. The ancient maxim, "gnōthi seauton" has always been a big part of my spiritual practice. I read what you said today in the shoutbox and I found it absolutely amazing.

Last edited: 30 August 2018
    • Like Like x 1
  8. Posidonius

Posidonius Junior Member

Would you recommend any particular techniques for effective language learning or perhaps some methodological books? On a side note, I've always wondered how languages were learned in the previous epochs.

9. Manu

Manu Señor Member Sustaining Member
    1. Norden
    2. Knights of the Iron Cross

I know the Roman Patricii usually had Greek slaves as tutors when it came to the arts, language and so forth. My somewhat informed guess is that it was usually learned by rote, classical catheder teaching. Either by enslaved tutor or hired teacher. Pretty much all the way from antiquity until "the information age". There were also private schools in both Greece and Rome. The poor did not have the luxury of formal tutoring, obviously.

I suppose they did not have language apps like we do today, at any rate. I cannot answer how Arboreality learns sanskrit and so forth, but I really like Duolingo when I get started on a language. Currently freshing up my German, learning Russian plus taking a poke at some basic Hungarian and Polish. German and Russian daily, due to their importance as world languages. I second the request to know how to learn sanskrit in a practical way. Not that I would have much use for it. I need both Russian and German because I interact with Russians and Germans quite often.

• Agree Agree x 1
  10. Azaeroe

Azaeroe Member

I only know some German and very little Attic. I would not dare start a new language.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice