Are religions actually sun worship or is there more to it?

Discussion in 'Religion & Spirituality' started by hyperboreanwolf, 9 June 2018.

1. hyperboreanwolf

hyperboreanwolf Recruit

I figure people here will have some insight to what I'm asking (I haven't been able to find much on this website addressing what I'm specifically looking for).

I mean when you look at how Christianity was Europeanized with the addition of holidays like Easter (which only appears in the King James Bible in Acts 12:4) or the dates of Christmas, it lines up with changing seasons and the changes in the length of days. Where is the deeper interpretation of Christianity (its typically laid out explicitly).

What was the point of the mystery cults and mystery schools? What was taught there? Does Hermeticism have any validity? Is it more beneficial for us to follow an Aryan religion or is Aryan religion simply Sun worship. Do Hinduism or Buddhism mention anything about the Sun? I've seen the term of Hyperborean religion thrown around on some websites.

Essentially I'm lost and I'm looking for religious guidance right now. Where should I search?

2. Myrddin

Myrddin Senior Member

3. Raisin

Raisin Senior Member Staff Member

> I mean when you look at how Christianity was Europeanized with the addition of holidays like Easter

That's not true. Germanic tongues just call it Easter because it's a reference to spring, the "opening month" of the year; the holiday is actually 'Pascha.'

> or the dates of Christmas,

Referring to?

4. Myrddin

Myrddin Senior Member

5. Raisin

People have weird ideas about the significance of Christian festivals coinciding with Pagan ones. The festival of Sol Invictus was deliberately engineered to coincide with Christmas, for example - rather than vice versa. It was a strategy of the Emperor Aurelian.

6. Myrddin

Myrddin Senior Member

A useful strategy indeed

7. Andúril

Andúril Junior Member

But there are a lot of pagan/European (I use these terms synonymously, because I'm referring to the religion that comes from the European spirit) motifs and iconography in, say, Easter and Christmas. For instance, the use of the rabbit in Easter; the rabbit was a symbol for Freya, a Norse fertility goddess. Rabbits are known to have large quantities of offspring in their mating seasons, thus they became a symbol of fertility.

Also, in Christmas, the Santa Claus figure (though taking his name from Saint Nicholas, a Turk) is actually based on the Norse god Óðinn, who was said to leave gifts for children on Yule (which is also why we refer to Christmas as the "Yuletide" season).

My point here is that it's no mistake to assume that these holidays were paganized or "Europeanized." They were. Even when foreign holidays and celebrations were introduced to us, our blood and spirit took over. That, and that pagans were trying to maintain their traditions under the guise of practicing Christianity.

8. Raisin

Yes, that's the narrative produced by men like Jacob Grimm in the 1800s, but it's a case of "Citation Needed." That is to say, this whole idea of pagan continuity is often just made up. There is literally no archaeological evidence whatsoever for Eostre, and the only mention is from St Bede who raised the idea of a spring-deity as a hypothesis to explain the distinct Germanic way of referring to the spring season - yet you still get a thousand blogs which repeat these really elaborate and completely un-sourced "explanations" about how there was a feminist sex-goddess who produced chocolate until the Church came and ruined it.

Neither the rabbit, nor the hare, was associated with Freyja - and I know of no primary source which speaks of or shows that connection (instead, she was associated with large cats). Hares/rabbits were associated, in Classical symbolism, with Aphrodite/Venus - an association which persisted in the Middle Ages in allegorical depictions of lust. (Conversely, the Middle Ages also added the rabbit as a frequent motif to accompany the Virgin Mary, due to their unusual pregnancy cycles (as rabbits are prone to superfecundiation).) There was no clear association between a rabbit and Easter until it became a part of Lutheran culture (which is why its so popular in Protestant nations but you don't see any association in the somewhat older, Catholic cultures).

Easter eggs, incidentally, come from preserving eggs over Lent. When you broke the fast, you'd have a shitload of preserved eggs.

Saint Nicholas was Greek, for one, and his association with gift-giving arose in territories which had no Norse history. The Father Christmas figure emerged from the Feast Day of Saint Nicholas relatively late in Medieval history, where the gifts were strongly understood in terms of charity. Gift-giving for the sake of gift-giving emerged only a few centuries ago.

I can't say I know anything of Odin being associated with gift-giving - although of course he was associated with Yule (insofar as he is a god and Yule is a dark time of the year), but if you've got any primary sources I'd love to read them

I can think of one notable pagan festival which occurred around Christmas, actually: Mother's Night. It is notable because there's literally no continuity with it and post-conversion festivals. Not one European nation has the custom of celebrating Christmas Eve by killing an animal for a goddess (even symbolically).

• Superb Superb x 1
  9. Andúril

Andúril Junior Member

I currently don't have anything off-hand I can link you too - though if I do come across something of interest, I can if you would like.

Regarding the idea of a "feminist sex-goddess," I think it's quite clear those are just degenerates who do not understand paganism or their own heritage. It's obvious that is some kind of disgusting misinterpretation.

Regarding the symbolism of the rabbit, this was something more prominent among the Romans, from my understanding. But bear in mind, the ancient Romans were pagans before they converted to Christianity under Constantine.

Well, Saint Nicholas was born in what is modern-day Demre in southern Turkey. I don't know if he was of Greek descent, though.

My main premise here is that even though these holidays are celebrations of Christian rites, they still retain aspects of traditional European high festivals and customs. Even looking at the times of year in which they are observed, we can see they are associated with nature-festivals and celebrations that correspond with European calendars.

So my point is I think that's what the OP meant by "Europeanized," because in a sense, they were. Anything Christian is Semitic in origin, not European. So when these traditions were introduced to Europe, the native population made them their own.

10. Myrddin

Myrddin Senior Member

:D I see you have encountered many wiccans

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice