1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Best translations of classical texts

Discussion in 'Literature' started by Posidonius, 1 September 2018.

1. Posidonius

Posidonius Recruit

Greetings,

I propose to post here the authors of the best translations for the works originally in languages other than English. For instance, in the case of Friedrich Nietzsche it is widely agreed upon to be Walter Kaufmann who did the most justice to the German thinker. As for myself, I have been planning to read a number of works in translation and I would be grateful if anybody could point me in the right direction in terms of the most authentic rendering. And if there is no consensus upon this, it would be interesting to have some discussion as to which translation is the best and why. Below are the works/authors I am personally interested to hear about in this connection.

Bhagavad Gita
    Rumi
    Tao Te Ching
    Confucius
    St. Augustine
    Corpus Hermeticum
    Seneca
    Boethius

• Interesting Interesting x 1
  2. Arboreality

Arboreality Member

Welcome to Lumine Boreali, to my knowledge, you're supposed to make a thread in Introductions before you can post anywhere else. At the very least, it's strongly recommended. I'm new to this forum as well, I joined less than a week ago, but if you need any help with anything, I'll try my best. On that note, this is actually a very interesting idea. I'm sure it will be very helpful to others since finding the right translation has a big effect on how someone perceives and accesses a work.

3. RabGospodnyy

RabGospodnyy Junior Member

Many of the books you mentioned can be found in the collection by Müller called The Sacred Books of the East. The Bhagavad Gita translation contained within is said to be a classic.

4. Azaeroe

Azaeroe Member

He is looking for the best translations which is difficult to say if you are not extremely erudite.