1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Breadmaking

Discussion in 'Survivalism' started by Celtic Skogsra, 26 March 2016.

1. Celtic Skogsra

Celtic Skogsra Heroic Member

Its odd there's no thread here about bread & loafmaking. How do you make yours? What are your favourites? I even made a harvest loaf once but I prefer to bake Italian flatbreads. Most years I also like to make a schtollen at Christmas & hot cross buns at Easter. I even made karē-pan once.

Last edited: 26 March 2016
    • Like Like x 1
  2. Celtic Skogsra

I don't get the way recipe books state weights; be honest most of us don't have access to the fresh yeast and with packet yeast instructions may vary. What matters is enough water to turn the flour into a dough, even 'insufficient' quantities of yeast will in time rise the dough. The basic ingredients, unless you are making soda bread, is thus flour, water and yeast, perhaps also a little salt to slow the rise and a sugar source such as malt to boost the yeast. Then there are the fillings such as herbs or cheese that will slow the rise of the bread simply by their presence; that is if you choose to have any such flavouring at all.

Last edited: 26 March 2016
  3. Werifesterian

Werifesterian Senior Member

Can you recommend a worthwhile bread cookbook?

4. Celtic Skogsra

I'd prbly recommend the River Cottage handbook about bread, and just a book named Bread Matters by an award winning baker in Cumbria named Andrew Whitley who goes into the science of flours and yeasts and such. Both are good for beginners but the River Cottage book is a better size to have open in the kitchen and also contains instructions for a DIY oven.

5. Celtic Skogsra

For bread filling by the way, if you choose to bake an onion bread, which is popular, its a good idea to fry the onion (and any garlic) lightly & to caramelise it with a bit of brown sugar. This applies whether you want it as a topping or a content.

6. Celtic Skogsra

Does anyone here have an outdoors pizza oven for baking outdoors in?

[​IMG]

Last edited: 2 April 2016