1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Freemasonry

Discussion in 'Esotericism' started by Plantagenet, 11 September 2016.

1. Werifesterian

Werifesterian Senior Member

There are liberal and revolutionary connections to Roman Catholicism ('Liberation Theology,' anyone?) Does that invalidate all of the Church?

2. Werifesterian

As I understand it, at least in regular English-style Freemasonry, one is only required to believe in a Supreme Being with the actual details of said belief left up to the individual. So a Mason might be a Deist but might also be a Hindu, a Muslim, a Jew, a Christian, a Sikh, a Traditionalist Catholic, an Evangelical Protestant, or a Universal Mother Goddess worshipper for that matter. One does not necessarily have to be a monotheist, by the way. Different jurisdictions have slightly different standards on what religions they consider to be compatible, though by definition atheists would be right out. The whole point of referring to God as the Grand Architect of the Universe is to get around using the terminology of any one religion in lodge.

Now there are forms of Masonry that do have more specific religious requirements (or even anti-religious requirements—thinking of the French Grand Orient here) but it could therefore be argued that they are not acting in the spirit of Masonry for that reason.

So you can take Freemasonry as being vaguely Deistic if you want to, but you can also take it as being Perennialist, which presumably is the position of the various Guenonian lodges that exist.

3. Boreas

Boreas Senior Member Staff Member Sustaining Member

• Superb Superb x 1
  4. Celtic Skogsra

Celtic Skogsra Heroic Member

Ostensibly Masonry began with guilds of actual masons in Edinburgh. Still the layout of a lodge has bden compared to a Mithraeum and its Baktashi equivalent, and even to Native American lodges. Never have I seen such similarities explained or refuted. Intuitively claims made of a North American connection are stretched for historical and archaeological reasons, but the connection through Shia heretics to the Mithraea might be more productive to investigate.

5. Werifesterian

I think the comparison of Freemasonry to Native American and Sufi lodges has more to with 18th and 19th century Europeans not having any other similar living institutions to make the analogy with. I would put down any similarities to the fact that certain institutional forms simply work well in almost any culture. One might also say this is evidence of their shared Traditional character.

6. Celtic Skogsra

Celtic Skogsra Heroic Member

Arguments included physical layouts.

7. Josaphat

Josaphat Junior Member

---

Last edited: 22 May 2017
    • Like Like x 2
  8. Josaphat

Josaphat Junior Member

---

Last edited: 22 May 2017