General Survey

Discussion in 'General Discussions' started by Plantagenet, 22 November 2013.

1. Plantagenet

Plantagenet Heroic Member

In order to learn more about each other and see what commonalities we may have, how about a general survey? I'll answer after some replies. If you can think of other questions of this sort, feel free to ask it on top of these:

What is your Meyers Briggs personality type?

What are some of your primary hobbies?

What are your main areas of intellectual interest, i.e. what do you like reading about ?

What types or genres of music do you enjoy most? Who are some of your favorite artists and bands? What are your favorite musical instruments, if any?

What are some of your favorite films?

Do you play video games or did you as a child? If so, what were your favorites?

Who are some figures or people you look up to, either historical or contemporary? Who are your heroes and those who shaped your world-view?

What is your ethnic background and what is your sub-race if you know it?

Outside of your own ethnic group, what other European ethnic groups do you most admire? Non-European ethnic groups?

What is your favorite period in history? What past civilizations fascinate you most?

What type of weather do you enjoy the most? What type of natural environment are you attracted to (mountains, deserts, prairies, etc.)? What is your favorite season of the year?

What are some things or types of people or behavior that you least like? What irritates you?

• Like Like x 5
    • Interesting Interesting x 1
  2. Great initiative and idea, thank you for posting this. I do love filling in surveys and such, so here goes...

INTP.

Screwing around with computers and software, fencing, playing the violin and of course intellectually stimulating myself with the sorts of things discussed on this forum.

What are your main areas of intellectual interest, i.e. what do you like reading about ?

This is hard to answer, as I think most subjects interest me. Yes, I suppose mostly everything interests me as long as it is well formulated and takes on a good angle.

What types or genres of music do you enjoy most? Who are some of your favorite artists and bands? What are your favorite musical instruments, if any?

Classical music is a wide genre, so I'll go with baroque as the genre that I enjoy the most. My favourite composers would have to be something along the lines of Bach, Wagner, Vivaldi, Paganini, Grieg and Chopin. Chamber music is what I best enjoy both listening to and playing. So my favourite musical instruments are those that make up the string quartet (violin, viola and cello) as well as the piano which I do wish to learn when/if I get the opportunity. When it comes to more contemporary music, I have enjoyed a lot of different genres throughout my life but I think what has stuck is symphonic metal (Nightwish before they kicked their wonderful singer, Epica whom Olavsson alerted me to, Sonata Arctica, Kamelot and my new favourite; Therion). I've also started enjoying more industrial stuff, including electronic music. I'm not sure if it should be mentioned in the same sentence at all, but I recently found out about Raubtier and you can colour me impressed. I guess (Scandinavian) folk music and folk metal are genres that I also find to be of great interest, but I don't really listen to those genres much these days, so recommendations on those arenas would be appreciated.

I actually didn't find out about the greatness of my countryman, Ingmar Bergman, until rather recently. Some of his films are now at the top of my list, especially Det Sjunde Inseglet (The Seventh Seal), Persona and Vargtimmen (Hour of the Wolf). I'm not such a big film buff, so I haven't actually watched that many films which I have found to be more than good. I'll have to work through that other thread :D

I did play a lot of video games just a couple of years ago, so I'd say that I have some fairly good knowledge of the ones available for PC. I do play some every now and then, but it's not really more than a passing thing that happens occasionally any longer.
    I think that the majority of the games that are worth playing were produced before the year 2000, and the more recent games we've seen have all been ridiculously awful despite the pretty graphics and massive budgets. Add to that that feminists have recently been invading the industry, and you've got a recipe for disaster.
    But anyway, the best game of all time is of course Planescape: Torment. If you haven't played it, even if you don't really play video games, I think you should. While it might not ever come close to being as good as a top-notch written classic, I think it's the best example to date of how great interactive fiction can be made.
    A few other games that needs mentions: All of the LucasArts classics (with a special shout-out to
    LOOM, a forgotten and brilliant gem), Unreal Tournament, the Ultima series, Simon the Sorcerer (1 and 2), Baldur's Gate (1 and 2), Fallout (1 and 2), all of the Elder Scroll games that came before Oblivion and finally Arcanum.

Who are some figures or people you look up to, either historical or contemporary? Who are your heroes and those who shaped your world-view?

My ancestors, both those I know of and those I do not. The heroes of the Icelandic Sagas should surely continue to inspire as long as their memories live on. I do have several (more recent) great heroes who I know that I am related to by blood, too, and I think that places a certain responsibility on my shoulders, a legacy to live up to if you will.

Edit: And I have to mention Pythagoras, as I have found his life and thought to be the most inspiring of all the philosophers that I have studied.

I don't know what my sub-race is, but most of my blood is Swedish, with German aristocracy on my mother's side. The only non-Germanic blood that I know of so far (I need to do some more research) is my mother's father's mother who we believe had some Hungarian blood.

Outside of your own ethnic group, what other European ethnic groups do you most admire? Non-European ethnic groups?

I have always been very inspired and impressed by Japanese culture. I think it is because of the roles that beauty, honour and blood have always played in it, being in some ways perhaps rather similar to our own ancestral ways. It's very sad to see the Japanese falling victims to modernity and Americanization just like us, though.
    Within Europe, I have great respect for most if not all ethnic groups and their respective cultures. I think Slavic culture and ways are very impressive, and it is sad that they have been delegated to some sort of position of lower value within Europe.

What is your favorite period in history? What past civilizations fascinate you most?

The Iron Age here in Scandinavia, I'd say. But most ancient eras and civilizations fascinate and interest me. The Hellenistic era is obviously pretty high up there.

What type of weather do you enjoy the most? What type of natural environment are you attracted to (mountains, deserts, prairies, etc.)? What is your favorite season of the year?

While I surely like the sun and warm summer days, I find much inspiration in heavy rain and thunderstorms. When nature unleashes its fury, I stand in awe. I enjoy all of the seasons for they all have their unique beauty, but spring is probably my favourite. As for environments, it is definitely the forest. Dark and misty, covered in snow, or open and filled with sunlight it is among the trees that my heart will always be.

What are some things or types of people or behavior that you least like? What irritates you?

Those damn Americans who can't spell "behaviour" correctly! :rofl:
    I think my answer to that question will probably be the similar to that of most of the other members of this forum; progressives, modernity, consumerism, Americanization, anti-intellectualism etc.

Last edited: 12 January 2014
    • Like Like x 6
  3. What is your Meyers Briggs personality type?
    INTJ - "The mastermind" :rofl:

Playing/learning the Anglo-Saxon harp and other folk instruments, knitting, spinning wool, naalbinding, weaving, taking walks in nature, collecting flowers to dry, reading, learning, painting with watercolors, sewing, I also really like beauty-related things like natural cosmetics and home made hair treatments. What can I say? I am a girly-girl :)

I'm a history student with a focus (hopefully) in medieval European studies. I also love to learn about things like homesteading, keeping animals, how to make things for myself, and how to grow plants etc...

I love music very very much! Mostly I love neo-folk and folk music and medieval music but I also really like some electronic music and some metal. Some of my favorite artists (at the moment) are: Werkraum, Sturmpercht, Mediaeval Baebes, Sonne Hagal, Wardruna, Of the Wand and the Moon, Ensiferum, Falkenbach, Santiano, Faun, Skyforger, Korpiklaani, Isengard, Burzum, Fintroll, and Darkwood. Some of my favorite musical instruments are the Anglo Saxon or Germanic harp/lyre and the Mountain Dulcimer. I also really like the classical harp, the flute (which I played for a very very long time), and the violin.

Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind, Moon, Coraline, LOTR, Cube, Benjamin Button, Sweeney Todd,

Zelda is by far my favorite, especially Ocarina of time and Majora's Mask. I liked Skyrim too, as well as Oblivion and Morrowind. I like Civilization 4 and 5 too.

This is kind of a hard question. Really the only people that I can say that about are my family, especially my Grandmother and her sister. They raised me since I was a baby and they both have died, one very very recently. They were amazing, caring, generous, and kind women.

Luckily someone in my family has done some really extensive research on our genealogy. Baden-Württemberg and Hesse in Germany are where nearly all of my relatives/ancestors that we know of are from. There remaining few are from Scotland and I think one from England.

Since I have lived in Sweden, I would say that I really admire and love Swedish culture very much. I found that I fit in better there and nearly everyone seemed to think I was Swedish. I felt very at-home there and miss it every day.

The migration era, between 400 and 700 AD in Northern Europe. It's basically the reason I'm in school.

I love mountains and fields and forests. I feel my best when it's autumn or even winter. I tend to get sick in the summer from the heat.

I could probably write a whole book about this! Although it would be really similar to the post above mine and probably everyone else's response. Mindlessness, consumerism, apathy, extreme decadence, sociopaths, etc...

• Like Like x 6
  4. Plantagenet

Plantagenet Heroic Member

Well, I suppose I'll answer now:

ENTP, though I usually score about 50/50 on introversion/extroversion, so pretty similar to an INTP as well.

Playing music (guitar for now but plan to learn another), listening to music, reading, spending time in nature, drinking coffee and tea, meditating, writing, cultivating ecstatic trance states, and of course spending time with family and friends. I used to be big into drawing, but don't do as much these days.

Religious studies, comparative religion, esotericism, mysticism, mythology, ancient and medieval civilizations/cultures, European history, Far Eastern history, Aryans/Indo-European studies, aesthetics (particularly sacred art, architecture, and music), race, genealogy, and I suppose a sort of pseudo-ethnomusicology.

These days I really only listen to classical, sacred, and folk music. In particular I like Western classical music, Indian classical music, Persian classical music, British and Irish folk music, Chinese guqin, Korean sanjo, Tibetan tantric choirs, Sufi music (dhikr, sama, nasheeds), Qawwali, Japanese kabuki music, Buddhist and Hindu mantras, Ottoman classical music, various forms of Christian sacred music, and other forms of European and American folk music.

When I listened to more modern music, some bands I enjoyed were Black Sabbath, Yes, Frank Zappa, Pink Floyd, Led Zeppelin, Comus, Shpongle, Alice in Chains/Mad Season, Tool, Meshuggah, Om, Burial, Tom Waits, Ween, Phutureprimitive, and Nobuo Uematsu.

Mostly those I listed in this thread: http://lumineboreali.net/threads/good-films-and-serials.66/

Of those, overall I'd have to say Kurosawa's films are my favorites, especially Seven Samurai, Ran, Yojimbo, and Throne of Blood.

Growing up, I loved Final Fantasy VII, Final Fantasy IX, Final Fantasy Tactics, the Mario games (particularly 64), Starfox 64, Suikoden II, Soul Calibur, and Dynasty Warriors. Nowadays I rarely play anything, but when I do its Civilization 4, a Paradox game like EU3, or Romance of the Three Kingdoms 9 or 11.

Various sages like the Buddha, Plotinus, Lao Tzu, Meister Eckhart, Ibn Arabi, Rumi, Huang Po, Adi Shankara, Abhinavagupta, etc. The modern traditionalist writers Julius Evola, Rene Guenon, and Ananda Coomaraswamy. JRR Tolkien. Alexander the Great, Genghis Khan, Roman von Ungern-Sternberg, Cao Cao, and other great military leaders. Great composers like JS Bach and Richard Wagner. As a kid I looked up to Arnold Schwarzenegger, probably just because he was a muscular Germanic hero in action films.

Primarily English and German, but also some more distant (early 1700s and back) Irish, Dutch, Flemish, and Northern French ancestry. My sub-race is Faelid-Nordid.

I admire the good Frenchman, Scandinavians, and the various Celtic people. Non-Europeans would have to be Persians, Indians (at least the elites), Chinese, Japanese, and Koreans... in other words the Indo-Aryan and Far Eastern people.

I like ancient Europe (Greece, Rome, Celts, Germanics), medieval Europe (Volkerwanderung to High Middle Ages), the ancient/medieval Indo-Aryan civilizations, and Far Eastern civilizations (Zhou to Tang Dynasty China, Three Kingdoms to Goryeo Korea, Heian to Early Tokugawa Shogunate Japan.)

I like temperate weather (British weather for example) and I quite like the rain, particularly falling asleep to it at night. I mostly like the British Isles sort of "Shire" atmosphere, Alpine mountainous regions, and forests. My favorite season is autumn.

Outside of the obvious political and degenerative cultural phenomena, fake or forced laughter, crudeness, and liars (espeically lying to make oneself look "cooler") irritate me.

Last edited: 24 November 2013
    • Like Like x 3
  5. When have I ever missed an opportunity to talk about myself?

INTJ. That seems to be a prevalent one.

Wouldn't call it a "hobby" per se, but I really enjoy writing. I also have to admit that I'm somewhat vain, and probably spend a bit more time than the average person on looking through clothing stores, grooming, etc.

Anything related to ideas really. Philosophy, politics, spirituality, etc.

My favorite genres are metal, neofolk and alternative rock, and my favorite bands from each genre would be Agalloch, Von Thronstahl and Kent. Since a guitar of some sort would be the common denominator for 99% of the music I listen to, I guess you could say that's my favorite instrument.

Fight Club, American Psycho, Falling Down, Der Untergang and pretty much every film by the Coen brothers.

Yes indeed. I got a PS1 when I was about 6 or 7, and the games I remember best are Driver 2, Crash Bandicoot: Cortex Strikes Back, Tomb Raider 1&2, and the three first Spyro games. When I got older and got a PS2, my favorites were Medal of Honor: Frontline, The Godfather and Star Wars: Battlefront II. I had pretty much lost interest in gaming by the time PS3 came out, but I still play my old PS2 games from time to time.

Tough one. The first name that comes to mind is Alain de Benoist. Before I read anything by him I was already pretty politically incorrect but wouldn't touch the radical right with a ten foot pole as I considered it an intellectual wasteland. de Benoist showed me the light and served as an introduction to other thinkers like Evola, Sunic, etc. Lately I've also developed a strong admiration for the Swedish author Jonas De Geer.

Norwegian, but with brown eyes and dark brown hair. Unfortunately I don't know half as much about my heritage as I would like to. Some people say I look Italian, so it's very possible I have some Mediterranean blood in me from far back.

I have a soft spot for Italian cuisine, art and culture, which I suppose strengthens my theory about Southern European heritage. Being a semi-Buddhist I have tremendous respect for the Tibetan people, and like Valvar I also somewhat admire Japanese culture.

I'm about equally fascinated by the Viking Age and the Roman Empire.

I'm pretty sensitive to heat, but get enough of cold as well from living in Norway, so sun and maybe 15 degrees Celsius is optimal for me. The kind of weather where you only need to wear a light jacket. Hence why my favorite season is spring, even though it's a huge cliché :rolleyes: I've lived in a pretty rural area for about 95% of my life, and like being surrounded by evergreens and typical Norwegian nature.

I don't wanna sound like some childish misanthrope here, cause I'm really not, but I don't know where to begin on this one. People with "random" humour, or people who jokingly describe themselves as "crazy". "Stoners" who smoke weed every day, watch films about weed, listen to music about weed and base their entire personality on a plant. People in general who let some small thing take over their entire personality. If you listen to hiphop that's completely fine by me, but if you're just a few steps away from tattooing yourself black, well...

Last edited: 25 November 2013
    • Like Like x 5
  6. Sellanrå

Sellanrå Senior Member

- INTP, Engineer, Intellectual, Naturalist, Logical. More info

- When I was a kid I used to collect stamps. Among my prizes are the first Norwegian stamp ever made. I was a boy scout for many years. I still enjoy the outdoors and I like to fish.
    Gardening and homebrewing is also cool. I also enjoy playing board games with friends and having some drinks. I also do some crafts now and then. I played guitar when I was younger and considering picking it up again. I wish I could draw. I enjoy writing and taking photo's. I've been told I'm a good cook.

- History, biology, archeology, Nietzsche and other philosophy, myths, sagas, sci-fi, fantazy, ecology, environment, nationalism. Hamsun, Tolkien, Lovecraft and Dostojevski are among my favorite authors.

- Like most people here I enjoy neofolk, metal, classical and related acts like martial industrial and ambient. I used to listen more to metal when I was younger. Some prog rock is also very cool.

- The Icelandic viking movies, fantazy, horror and sci-fi (especially 70's) movies. Godfather-series. I also like Det Sjunde Inseglet;)

- Command and Conquer-series, Age of...-series. Diablo 1/2 was fun and I've played a lot of Warcraft 1/2/3. Heroes of might and magic III. Granraude convinced me to get Civ, it's fun but takes ages. Gaming was more fun when I was younger. Board games are more fun and social now, but I still play video games from time to time. It's a huge time-drain. I have also played a lot of browser games, Xenocide3001k was my favorite. It was much better than Planetarion. I've had the first Gameboy, NES and Playstation 1.

- Herman, Tore Hund, Egil Skallagrimsson, Amundsen, Nansen, Von Braun. Explorers charting the white spots of the maps. The Ragnarok movement in Norway. My grandfather. And many others.

- 23andme said I was 100% Scandinavian. As far as I know, all my ancestors are Norwegian. But I wouldn't be surprised if I had any Swedish ancestry. I have greenblue eyes and dark blond hair. I guess I'm nordic, but not too sure.

- Not too sure on this one. Germany and Japan perhaps. Groups who practice self-sustainability. Tibetans. Any ethnic group who manage to stay afloat in this globalist age might deserve recognition. Icelanders for putting their foot down to bankers, but sadly it looks like they have been quick to forget.

- Bronze age and the iron (viking) age. Ancient Greeks and their philosophy. I also have interest in the stone age and how civilization messed it all up when it came along. The "golden age" is very interesting. The Romans, even though they were culture-wreckers.

- I don't enjoy very warm weather, when we had a heat record of 30C here it was hell on earth. I live by the coast and I enjoy it. But the forest has more attraction. The great vast open spaces you see standing on a mountain is also great. Spring is one of my favorite seasons, the temperature is okay and all around you new life is happening.

- Norwegian people who mix Norwegian and English in everyday speech and writing. People who cut in line (Norway has a strict line culture). People who vote time and time again and never realize it's just the same lousy crap rebranded. People who throw garbage on the street and cusses a lot. I have friends who will drive 3 minutes to the store, stuff like that annoys me immensely. People who throw perfectly fine food just because the date is off. Ecological interests being run over just to make some profit.

Last edited: 6 December 2013
    • Like Like x 4
  7. Elessar

Elessar Senior Member
    1. Cascadians

I did one a while ago and I believe I scored INTJ. Sounds about as right anyway. I can sometimes feel and be a bit more extroverted at times, so I think my personality isn't limited to purely "introverted" in an extreme way. I've never liked how people tend to identify dogmatically with their concrete personality types, I tend to react to whatever situation presents me.

Hiking, biking, camping, fishing, listening to music, bass/guitar, reading, (amateur) photography, cooking, socializing, philosophizing, video games.

History, philosophy, anthropology, religion, mythology, astronomy, and a little politicking.

Metal of most genres, but mainly Progressive, Death, Black, Doom, and Folk. If I had to make a Top 5 list it would go: Gojira, Enslaved, Opeth, Meshuggah, and the fifth spot is contested between Horn of the Rhino/Nile/Pallbearer/High on Fire/Satyricon. I have a fairly wide ranging taste in music, anything from Trip-Hop, to Classical, Indie, Electro/Synth, Traditional Folk, Bluegrass, Classic Country, Jazz, Experimental, Classic Rock, etc. As mentioned earlier I play guitar and bass. I own a cheap Epiphone Thunderbird bass, a body style which I love, and it gets the job done. I started playing when I was about 13 or 14 years old, quit for a while and picked bass up last year, and now I want to go back to guitar again. Don't have a functioning one at the moment (one of the reasons why I was on hiatus was a broken guitar and amp, improper care because I was a naive teenager), but I hope to get back into it in the near future.

I'm not much of a movie goer, mainly because there's a lot of crap out there that I don't feel like sitting through for hours to find out whether it's good or not, but some of my favorites have already been listed above. That's not to say that I don't enjoy a good film.

N64: Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time, 007 Goldeneye, Super Smash Bros. Mario Kart, Mario Party, Jet Force Gemini, Flying Dragon, Banjo Kazooie, Diddy-Kong Racing, Star Wars: Rogue Squadron.
    PS2: Monster Hunter, SOCOM series, Shadow of the Colossus, Mortal Kombat(s), Star Wars Battlefront, Star Wars Racer, Samurai Warriors, Dynasty Warriors, Shinobi, Tekken, Metal Gear Solid 2 & 3
    PS3: Metal Gear Solid 4, Skyrim, Oblivion, Battlefield 3, and other recurring games.

Alexander the Great, Socrates, Plato, Aristotle, Xenophon, Archimedes, Vercingetorix, Marcus Aurelius, Chlodovech, Charlemagne, Richard the Lionheart, Godfrey of Boullion, Ernst Junger, JRR Tolkien, Mervyn Peake, my Father and Grandfathers. I'm often more inspired by the common fighting man throughout history, about what it took to live before our modern age, from Alexander's roaming Macedonians, Rome's conquering legions, to the trench fighting soldiers of the first world war; it puts your own life's struggles and dilemmas into perspective.

Predominantly German and German from Russia, with a bit of English, French, and Welsh. Judging by my own knowledge of racial sub-types, I'd say I fall under the category of Paleo-Atlantid.

I like the Irish, French & Mediterranean cultures within Europe. Outside Europe I find Japan, Central Asia, and Meso-Southern American cultures fascinating. But like climates (See below) or food (I hope I don't sound too much like Bono here), I think all cultures have something interesting to offer. I certainly don't consider myself a "Citizen of the world" but I don't limit myself in learning all I can about the world. My ethnocentric loyalties come first in any situation.

Neolithic and Bronze age, Classic-Hellenistic Greece and Rome, Pre Roman "Celtic" Europe, Völkerwanderung, Anglo-Saxon Britain, Viking Age, Christian and pre-Christian history, Crusades. So pretty much all of European history before the introduction of gunpowder. And ironically the World Wars are a mainstay of my historical interests
    I'm also partial to Egyptian, MesoAmerican, and Indian history.

Alpine climates are my favorite. But I try to find the best in any environment or season I find myself in. They all have redeeming and negative attributes, different flavors to enjoy and experience. That being said my favorite weather is rain and clouds, late fall, early winter, and I'm not too fond of excessively hot temperatures.

Everything associated with the current leftist/cultural marxist rhetorical and lifestyle facets.

• Like Like x 5
  8. Saesenthesis

Saesenthesis Senior Member

INFP

Drawing, reading, some languages (Germanic mainly).

I like to read fantasy books, which have a philosophical aspect to them. The ones that inspire you to think with your own head and explore ideas rather than depict author's moral 'dictum' - a world of struggle and victory.

But I enjoy Evola, Guenon, Savitri D, Bhagavad Gita, hidden wisdom of sagas etc.

Metal, a bit of classical, a bit of folk/neo-folk

Von Thronstahl, to name one.

LOTR, Matrix, 7th Seal, Elfen Lied, Wol's Rain, Code Geass, Star Wars, Let the Right One in Favorite director may be A. Tarkovsky.

I am not a gamer, but the games I like have an epic quality to it, character interaction, good story or just some magic: Dragon Age, Witcher 2, Skyrim, Mass Effect.

Anyone who created or did something that makes this world a better place and did better than the ones before him/her.

West Baltid/ European

Germanics (nordid) of course!!!

Renaissance was nice...Despite all the sh*t we're dealing with now it's about this period that fascinates me, because of our people's efforts coming to fruition in the fields of science and art. No, not the abstract art, but making the necessary resources available to more of people and thus giving them a chance to develop and express their potentials. We have power to change the world for better and explore the Universe.

Rain, autumn. Forest, rustic architecture. Open horizon. Sea. Fjords are nice too.

Ignorance, greed, consumerism, manipulation, violence, domination, destruction, hubris and excessive arrogance.

Last edited: 5 October 2014
    • Like Like x 2
  9. neovictorian23

neovictorian23 Junior Member

Thanks for providing the questions, I will give it a try:

ENTP

Mountain hiking, pistol and rifle shooting, hunting, chess.

History, especially military/diplomatic and religious; biographies of scientists, statesmen, authors and philosophers; science fiction (esp. Stephenson, Heinlein).

I played the cello for may years and still love the sound. Being somewhat older than most here I am perhaps least knowledgeable of metal, but do like Rammstein (they're metal, right?) Is AC/DC metal? ;). Otherwise, Beethoven, Mozart, Baroque, Dave Brubeck, Louis Armstrong, Steppenwolf, Hendrix, Sinatra, even Kid Rock, in other words eclectic like most of you..

I don't watch many--two that stand out are
    Blue Velvet and The Manchurian Candidate (1962 original ONLY).

I've always like the ones where you fly an airplane. I wasted quite a few quarters on Missile Command about 30 years ago until I wised up...otherwise I've had limited experience.

Aristotle, Seneca, The First Crusaders, American Founding Fathers, Wellsley (Wellington), Grant, Bismarck, John von Neumann, Thomas Aquinas, Ayn Rand, Robert Heinlein.

1/4 Danish, rest "Northern European" via American South. English, Scots-Irish.

Victorian Britain, Saxon Britain, Great Britain until about the last Churchill government, the Irish for their endurance and stubbornness, Prussians, pre-socialism Scandinavians, Japanese, State of Israel (not Jews as Jews as such, but the fighting qualities).

America/Europe 1870-1913. Victorian England. Rome. But really, I'm very future-oriented--the
    Diamond Age and America 3.0 will be even better than these previous pinnacles. Or perhaps we'll all die gloriously trying to prevent submoronic hordes from despoiling everything we love. Either way, the future is my favorite period of all.

I enjoy cooler northern temperate forests (I've lived in coastal fjord-country Alaska most of the last 25 years). Mountain climbing/hiking, but also love the occasional trip to the American Southwest desert for a week or two. Favorite season, Autumn.

Signaling homosexuals and dykeish women are really disgusting to me, and there are far too many of them featured in Western entertainment. American/European limousine liberals who live in sheltered enclaves with comfortable incomes and good security, and whine about inequality and discrimination. People who eat meat and are disgusted by gutting a fish or deer. Professional Angry Victims group representatives, whether ethnic, religious, or feminists.

• Like Like x 3
  10. RoughDraught

RoughDraught Member

I tend to fluctuate between INTP and INFP, usually within a question or two, depending on mood. While we're on the subject, I test pretty solidly as a 5 on the Enneagram with a 4 wing. I let my 4 wing go out and play, so my 5-ness can pick it all apart later.

Other than chasing my son around the house? Reading, movies, being outdoors, genealogy, writing.

History (fascinated by WWI at the moment), philosophy, consciousness, dreams, various occult-y type works. Also love horror fiction, and 19th century "adventure" fiction (H. Rider Haggard, Arthur Conan Doyle, H.G. Wells, Jules Verne, Edgar Rice Burroughs, etc.). Some science fiction. Also waiting for the next Song of Ice and Fire book by George R.R. Martin

Music - all over the map. Industrial, film scores, library music, Neo-folk, analogue synth stuff. Currently on heavy rotation: Coil, Dead Can Dance, Death In June, Current 93, Nurse With Wound, Tom Waits, Klaus Schulze, Sinoia Caves, ART ABSCONs, Throbbing Gristle, Einstuerzende Neubauten, Goblin, Ros Sereysothea.

Das Boot, El Topo, Holy Mountain, Martyrs, A Serbian Film, Suspiria, Blade Runner, Metropolis, The Passion of Joan of Arc, anything with giant Japanese monsters destroying cities, Enter the Dragon...

I used to have an Atari 2600 when they first came out. Currently I suck at anything above the level, of say, Space Invaders.

I don't like putting people on pedestals. That's how they fall and break. I don't believe anyone has all the answers, but I enjoy listening to their ideas and opinions.

Primarily German and Eastern European. I say "Eastern European" as national boundaries there shifted a number of times during the lifetimes of my ancestors.

As a European "mutt," it's difficult for me to answer the first part. The second part, however, I would say I find Japanese culture (historic and contemporary) to be fascinating.

Also difficult for me to say, as I'm hesitant to fall into romantic notions of previous times. Maybe I'm a pessimist, but I suspect there has been shit things happening throughout history. That said, I've been reading Ernst Jünger's memoirs of WWI, and while I would not for a moment want to have lived through what he did, I find the period interesting.

Favorite time of year is probably late autumn, early winter - the most noticeable time of days getting shorter, then longer. I love the ocean, and I love forests. I currently have the best of both of those worlds, where I live. However, where I live is not the environment I want to raise my son in (the town is small - too small), and the schools here are less than desirable. Homeschooling is not an option. I could go for one snowfall a year. Maybe two. Haven't touched snow in almost 10 years, and I miss it.

The willfully ignorant.

• Like Like x 4
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice