1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Hello from an Australian Trad!

Discussion in 'Introductions' started by WearySearcher, 14 September 2018 at 09:21.

1. WearySearcher

WearySearcher Junior Member

G'day fellas!

I'm a young bloke in my early 20s and I live in Melbourne, Australia. In terms of Traditionalism, I'm a practicing Orthodox Christian, I've read some of René Guénon's work, and I have an interest in Taoism and the philosophy of Martin Heidegger.

I'm a supporter of the Fourth Political Theory, not so much Dugin's early NazBol stuff, but the existential politics of Dasein as folk. I've recently been studying Ancient Greek and know some Biblical Hebrew. I'm also interested in gaining knowledge of Old English as I have found linguistics to be very important for my study of Heidegger and also folk. Tolkien is another influence in that area. Anyway, that's probably enough for now.

Weary Searcher

• Like Like x 2
  2. RabGospodnyy

RabGospodnyy Junior Member

Welcome to the forum WearySearcher! Good to see that you are a member of the One True Orthodox Church. I've encountered a surprisingly large amount of Australian Orthodox Traditionalists, do you know if there is a specific reason for that?

• Like Like x 1
  3. WearySearcher

Well, I know there is at least one other (Queensland), and I've been around different corners of the web under different names for a while. Apart from that I can't think of anything much in particular. Our bishop circulates many traditional and conservative positions on social media and some priests are connected to the alt-lite.

Orthodox Christianity just tends to mostly attract Traditionalists.

• Like Like x 1
  4. Arboreality

Arboreality Member

Welcome to Lumine Boreali, Weary Searcher. I study a lot of linguistics as well, mainly Classical Latin, Ancient Greek, Old Norse, and Sanskrit. On top of that, I've read quite a bit of Heidegger myself, especially when it comes to his ecological views. What do you think of Die Frage nach der Technik?

5. Welcome to Lumine Boreali!

Interesting to see how so many are turning towards orthodoxy. I am a catholic on paper, but in actuality a vedic pagan with a norse veneer. And with ideas of my own that often coincide with the vedas, which I often find after coming to one conclusion or the other myself. But I occasionally go to church and I do believe in and pray to God, if that makes any sense. Looks like you guys soon have me outnumbered.

Could you tell me about this Dasein as folk theory? Our existence as a race, I assume? Dasein meaning something like existence in the context.

What are your interests and skills?
    Your view on race, jews etcetera?
    What is the situation like in Australia nowadays? As bad as western Europe and the U.S?

• Like Like x 1
  6. WearySearcher

I haven't yet read "Die Frage nach der Technik?". I've read Dugin's introductory text, "The Essence of Truth", "Building, Dwelling, Thinking", and half of "Being and Time". I've mainly studied Russian, Ancient Greek, and some Biblical Hebrew and am only starting to get into linguistics.

My ecological views are much more influenced by Philip Sherrard, the English Orthodox Christian Traditionalist.

I think Orthodoxy is popular because it is our Western and Russian Tradition. Of course, there are the Old Ways, but I follow Tolkien's view of them as fatalistic. I respect the Old English pagans in the same way the author of Beowulf did - as interpreted by Tolkien in "The Monster's and the Critics".

Dugin takes Dasein as the complex form of the subject of his theory and folk (narod) as the simple form based on the phrase "Das Dasein existiert völkisch". In Dugin's ethnosociology, Dasein as folk comes about in the trifunctional structure of Indo-European society while the archaic "ethnos" is based on cyclical time and the eternal return of the same. Confronting death is part of the character of the aristocratic hero. Priests and peasants develop from shaman and ethnos.

All this informs my view of race. "Race" and "nation" are bourgeois constructs arising in the liberal revolutions (1789-1848). In my view, it is the estates that make the civilisation: ethnos and shaman becomes peasantry and priesthood. Dasein as folk comes out of the linear temporality of the aristocratic heroes.

• Like Like x 1
  7. WearySearcher

Australia is in pretty bad shape. I'd be lying if I said I'm optimistic about the future. Demographically, Anglo-Celtic people make up about 70% of the overall population, but its dropping fast with constant immigration and refugee intake. Culturally, we've already collapsed. Only "multiculturalism" exists i.e. no shared culture whatsoever, just liberal individualism.

I'm hoping to get together with like minded people to rebuild the foundations of Anglo-Celtic identity and culture in Australia. The ideas in Heidegger's Building, Dwelling, Thinking are a big influence in that respect. The concepts in that essay are totally applicable to Old English byldan (from bold ). I strongly believe that culture can only come out of the cultus, so only dwelling near the saints of the British Isles will allow us to keep to our roots.

May St Columba, St Bede the Venerable, and St Alfred the Great pray for us sinners.

• Like Like x 1
  8. Arboreality

Arboreality Member

I've read some of Sherrard's books, he's a very good Orthodox author indeed. His ecological views are definitely worth reading. I found The Rape of Man and Nature as well as The Sacred in Life and Art to both be very insightful in that area. Lineaments of a Sacred Tradition is also a great book.

9. WearySearcher

The Rape of Man and Nature is good but he more fully develops his ideas about the "theanthropocosmic" perspective of the world in Human Image:World Image - a great book which also led me to E.A. Burtt's The Metaphysical Foundations of Modern Science which is absolutely fantastic at digging up all the philosophy and presuppositions built into modern science. Sherrard's The Greek East and the Latin West is also a great read, especially to combine the Traditionalist analysis of Western history with Heidegger's critique of the end of the First Beginning of philosophy. It's necessary to understand that the analogia entis is one of the fundamental errors of Western Christianity, the other being its tendency to start with a reified super-monad i.e. Heidegger's critique of Western onto-theology.

I find Heidegger to be a totally fascinating figure who joins all my interests together as I also love Taoism and Heidegger was, I think, deeply influenced by the Taoism , perhaps through the Book of Tea as professor Ito Kichinosuke claimed. Certainly it's clear in the imagery of the empty pot that he uses to illustrate his idea of the "thing". Still, Heidegger remains totally faithful to the Indo-European tradition and the treasury of word-stems of the Germanic languages.

• Like Like x 1