1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Intro

Discussion in 'Introductions' started by JudasMartyr, 2 September 2018.

1. JudasMartyr

JudasMartyr Junior Member

How you found out about Reactionary politics and/or Traditionalism
    After I converted from Islam to Christianity, I became an extreme protestant of the conspiracy theory kind. My conspiracy theories led me to be anti-establishment. This led me further right on the political spectrum until I threw out the spectrum altogether and became Third Positionist. During this time I left the heresy of Protestantism and joined the true traditional Orthodox Church.

What convinced you (or if you're not convinced, what's hindering you)?

Nothing convinced me per se, traditionalism came as a natural continuation of my Christian faith.

Interests, sports, martial arts or similar that you practice, authors that you enjoy reading
    Interests include philosophy, history, and theology as most people here. I lift and do boxing. I also enjoy rugby. My favorite authors are Antoun Saadeh, various Desert Fathers and Augustine.

Religious views, and how you reached them
    Converted from Islam after seeing the overwhelming evidence for Christianity and receiving multiple visions. Began as an extreme protestant who thought all churches were satanic especially the Catholic Church. Ironically became Catholic afterwards. Finally converted to the One True Orthodox Church, the Antiochian branch in particular.

What you expect and want from your time here (ideas and suggestions much appreciated)
    Just a place to discuss and debate with likeminded people and expand my own knowledge.

Last edited: 3 September 2018
    • Like Like x 2
  2. Arboreality

Arboreality Member

Welcome to Lumine Boreali, JudasMartyr. I've read quite a bit of Saadeh as well, although I'm not quite fluent enough yet to read him in the original text. I usually read either the French or English translations beforehand, and then I can get a good grasp on it. In this way I've read Al-Islam fi Risalateih, An-Nizam al-Jadid, and Nushu' al-Umam. I definitely say his work is more than worth reading. His theories are very dynamic and almost alchemical in some ways.

Your religious journey sounds very interesting. If I recall, your avatar is an Aramaic symbol for, isn't it? The Noohra, meaning, "God of Light" or something to that effect. What evidence specifically convinced you to leave Islam? What led you to believe that the Orthodoxy was the one, true, apostolic Christian Church? I may have more questions for you after this. Again, welcome to our forum. I'm somewhat new here myself, but if you need anything feel free to ask me and I might be able to help.

Last edited: 3 September 2018
  3. JudasMartyr

I've read quite a bit of Saadeh as well, although I'm not quite fluent enough yet to read him in the original text. I usually read either the French or English translations beforehand, and then I can get a good grasp on it. In this way I've read Al-Islam fi Risalateih, An-Nizam al-Jadid, and Nushu' al-Umam. I definitely say his work is more than worth reading. His theories are very dynamic and almost alchemical in some ways. Saadeh is the father of my own ideology and I'm glad that you've put the effort in to read his works. It's fine not to read in the original tongue, reading the works at all is above and beyond most people.

If I recall, your avatar is an Aramaic symbol for, isn't it? The Noohra, meaning, "God of Light" or something to that effect. I can see already this forum has a higher intellectual caliber than most others, never has anybody been able to recognize this symbol.

What evidence specifically convinced you to leave Islam? It wasn't the evidence against Islam per se, more of the lack of evidence for Islam. From everything I've read Islam seems more a political religion, with only a few miracles to speak of which may prove its authenticity and even then those miracles were only attested to by other Muslims- never outside sources. The final nail in the coffin was of a more spiritual kind. I received what I believe to be visions(however I am still entertaining the possibility that it could be my mind just showing me what I wanted to see) of specific answers to specific questions and even saw what I believe to be Jesus at least twice. I could expand more on these visions if you're interested.

What led you to believe that the Orthodoxy was the one, true, apostolic Christian Church? Well after leaving the heresy of Protestantism I converted to Catholicism in an attempt to find the true traditional church. After attending a few services however Catholic, or perhaps only Vatican II, services felt fake to me. As if people were just carrying out the motions. Perhaps it was just the church I went to but I just didn't feel the presence of God which is promised when people gather in the name of Christ. Furthermore, papal infallibility seemed quite preposterous when papal edicts regularly contradicted each other and the sheer amount of evil and corruption not only in the modern Roman church but also in medieval times. So in an effort to find the true Church, I begin searching more and more. On a visit to my homeland of modern Lebanon (actually part of natural Syria), I received more visions which prompted me to visit the local Orthodox Church where I truly felt the presence. My first visit to the True Church is an unrivaled experience in my life indescribable by words. I left that church a different man. I then continued to study Orthodoxy and found it agreed more and more with my own conclusions on what the church should be like. Eventually, after being overwhelmed by signs and evidence to convert to the Church, I got baptized.

Thank you for your warm welcome

• Like Like x 1
  4. Arboreality

Arboreality Member

Thank you for answering my questions. I've definitely heard from many that Vatican II effectively changed several centuries of organically-formed traditions in an extremely short span of time. I'm glad you were able to find a spiritual path that resonated with you. How much of the Traditionalist school's literature have you read? What are your favorite Traditionalist authors?

Personally, I have read pretty much anything I can get my hands on by Guenon, Evola, Eliade, Coomaraswamy, Schuon, Lings, and László but I've studied a lot of other Traditional and Tradition-inclined authors as well. Guenon, Coomaraswamy, Schuon and László would be my personal favorites. The first book I ever read from Guenon was The Crisis of the Modern World.

5. JudasMartyr

My favorite Traditionalist authors are by far Jean Borella and Evola. Regrettably, I haven't read as much literature from the Traditionalist school itself, however, I have read enough to understand and apply it to my life and my general outlook on the world. My first traditionalist piece of literature was Ride The Tiger and it is high up there and possibly one of my favorites.

• Like Like x 1
  6. Arboreality

Arboreality Member

I've read some Borella, and what I haven't read from him is definitely on my to-read list. So far I've been fortunate enough to be able to read Le sens du surnaturel and Esotérisme guénonien et mystère chrétien. So far I'd say that Borella does an excellent job of expressing and contemplating Christian gnosis from a patristic and otherwise wholesome perspective. It's obvious that his form of gnosis is uniquely authentic. Aside from that, his critiques are so interesting because he takes apart modernism skillfully, especially the spiritually myopic elements. Borella is very much a master of what could be called Perennial logic.

7. RabGospodnyy

RabGospodnyy Junior Member

Welcome to the forum, JudasMartyr! I am very happy to see that you left the heresies that are Protestantism and 'Catholicism' (read: papism) and have come into the bosom of the One True Orthodox Church. I would very much appreciate it if you could elaborate more on the visions you have had. Were you first apprehensive when you saw them?