Introduction

Discussion in 'Introductions' started by RabGospodnyy, 12 July 2018.

1. RabGospodnyy

RabGospodnyy Member

Greetings everyone,

I am RabGospodnyy. The existence of Lumine Boreali first came to my awareness through a friend and fellow Traditionalist. I put off joining the forums for quite some time until recently, as I now finally have enough time to engage with the community here.

Religiously speaking, I am an Orthodox Christian affiliated with the Russian Orthodox Church Outside Russia (ROCOR). Furthermore, I consider myself a Traditionalist, being heavily influenced by Guénon, Evola, and several others into seeking out an exoteric tradition as well as the esoteric Tradition. Other thinkers and authors whose influence I have welcomed include Dante Alighieri, Fyodor Dostoyevsky, and a fairly substantial range of various scientists.

I am mainly drawn to the community because of its unique nature what with it being one of the few places dedicated to the discussion of Traditionalism. It is my hope to engage with the members here and to together come to fruitful new insights and greater spiritual development.

• Like Like x 1
  2. Manu

Manu Señor Member Sustaining Member
    1. Norden
    2. Knights of the Iron Cross

Welcome! I cannot believe nobody has answered you yet, that is almost a bit rude.

I used to be roman catholic. Still am on paper, actually. I guess that if I die, I will be buried that way. I don't mind. The inner workings of Christianity are partially right, but it is a very - how shall we say - anthropocentric religion. Going to church is pretty much a spectator sport where you get to cheer on, but it is not true practice. It is much like watching football on TV, and very little like being a practitioner of the sport. The same is absolutely true for everyone except some monks, who practice a lot of meditation and deeper spirituality. Only there within the christian traditions can you find true spirituality. Even there, it is somewhat rare to find a highly evolved example. But, there are exceptions, such as Padre Pio. Most become celibate priests or monks for wholly different reasons.

If - however - you wish to walk a path without becoming a celibate hermit who tends flowers, then you are in better luck pursuing Aryan spirituality rather than religion. Never having been a monk, I will not swear by it, all I know comes from being spiritually awake and watching priests. In my life, I have seen one individual inside the Orthodox church in particular who had achieved a higher state of being. It is a visible thing, such people radiate. A village priest outside of Patras in Greece, by the name of Father Gervaisos. I have yet to see any deeper spirituality in the Catholic church, but I have heard and read that it exists in some monastic orders.

You would, however, get far more close to being a player and not a spectator by starting to practice meditation. It unlocks many things. I recommend either transcendental meditation (TM) or Zen, depending on what you want to do with it. Both are good for different things. It doesn't come with attached religion, necessarily. It is technique, its origins are Aryan and it can be quite useful. Zen in particular is a true step towards übermensch. Most modern humans have an attention span which is quite short, which makes them stupid and shallow. Normal non-spiritual people with said dysfunction due to a lack of focus will usually respond with a oneliner, for instance. Zen undoes a lot of that and will raise your average level of consciousness quite a bit higher. Minimalism, zen, mindfulness, focus, living in "the now". As we say in Sweden, "a dear child has many names". Making your life simpler and more minimalist will help.

Truth be told, simply learning how to focus and really pay sharp attention to what you are doing will be the best way to train the Zen muscle. Whatever it is you are doing, do one thing and only that, and do it well, with focus. Most people can concentrate between 15 minutes to 30 minutes, less than that and it is attached with a diagnose. One who practices focus meditation in daily life can go for hours and will stop when done. The Japanese are very famous for this, and there is a lot of merit to it. This is how you become very good at something, or really knowledgeable, and so forth. Watch a lot of videos, read books and find your own way. It is far better than being fed from a standardized livestock troth.

This is pretty much my five cents as to how to begin, practically speaking. Belong to whatever religion you like. It might be a hindrance depending on what your goal is.
    Know this, though: once you have found the secret of reincarnation and know it is true, you will never be able to be religiously christian again, even if you can still go and enjoy the show and be with family etc. You might not like what I have just said, and others may tell you otherwise. According to what I know, this is a distilled and practical guide to first steps and a helping hand to get you out of a dead end, regardless of how it is received.

3. RabGospodnyy

RabGospodnyy Member

Thank you for your reply! There are several points you make that I would like to comment on.

First, on Christianity being a 'spectatorial religion'. This is patently false in the case of Orthodoxy. Modernist Catholicism (and even the SSPX and other 'Old Catholics') and the immense spectrum of Lutheranist heresies are practically spectatorial. Orthodoxy, on the other hand, isn't. When you visit an Orthodox mass, you will not find a mass of zombies gaping at a priest rattling off a feel-good lesson; rather, several people will be seated, some of them listening, some of them praying intensely. Others will be moving around, praying to specific saints through the medium of the icon, prostrating themselves, kissing the icons... Orthodoxy allows the parishioner far more freedom in how he experiences the mass while simultaneously holding him to far higher standards.

Second, on Christianity being an anthropocentric religion: this is once again a piece of criticism that is better addressed to Western Christianity. There is a passage from the work "Orthodoxy and Humanism" by the archimandrite Georgios (Kapsanis) that gives a better summation of the problem than I ever could give:

"The question of the confrontation between true Orthodox humanism and non-Orthodox Western humanism, be it religious or atheist, is very old. Man always has a choice between a life at the centre of which stands man (anthropocentric humanism) and a life which as its centre has the God-man (Orthodoxy). In the first case, man becomes the centre of the entire world, the measure and the goal of all things. In the second case, the God-man, the Word of God is the centre of the world." (Archimandrite Georgios (Kapsanis), Orthodoxy and Humanism / Orthodoxy and Papism, p. 10; my translation is a retranslation through a Russian edition, so be aware of a potential loss in meaning).

In summation, Christianity is by its nature not an anthropocentric religion; it only became like this relatively recently and after a very long process of intellectual corruption that has its roots in the office of the papacy, but only started to fully come into its own after the Great Schism and the more rationalistic works of Scholasticism.

On the question of Zen: while I have great respect for Buddhism and the various schools it developed into, there is only very little in it that the Orthodox practice of the Jesus prayer and Hesychasm could not give me. I recommend that you do some research on it, as it is the true Christian variation of meditation and supreme concentration that was largely lost in the West after the 1500s (with the exception of some very isolated monastic orders). Minimalism is universal to practically all traditions, so it is also something that I naturally strive for.

On reincarnation: if you read Christianity very technically, even this is possible (though only once and with very specific conditions). I personally do not believe in general reincarnation however, but I respect your beliefs.

Finally, thank you for the short guide!

4. Manu

Manu Señor Member Sustaining Member
    1. Norden
    2. Knights of the Iron Cross

You do make a point. Living in the West, I have not interacted very much with orthodoxy. But it is correct that what I have in fact seen has been more deep than the western traditions.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice