Is it wrong as someone that is intending to become a christian, to practice breath meditation and ut

Discussion in 'Mental Discipline & Meditation' started by JonhOliver, 21 September 2018.

1. JonhOliver

JonhOliver Member

I'm sure that there exist more or less similar techniques in the christian tradition, for example in quietism, but since Buddhism has developed one of the most advanced systems, i think it's not syncretism to try bring to light some under developed aspects of your tradition, by taking some tips from a foreign one.

In my opinion, this is what should be the purpose of perennial philosophy, obviously not to try to form one world religion, but to help developing all of the world's tradition to their maximum value, by taking into account some aspects that might be more developed or truthful in other traditions.

I also want to start praying as a christian, but i think doing both practices isn't incompatible. Not only that, but the breath meditation will help me to concentrate more during the prayer and throughout the day, so i don't really see what negatives it could have.

Last edited: 21 September 2018
    • Like Like x 1
  2. Manu

Manu Señor Member Sustaining Member
    1. Norden
    2. Knights of the Iron Cross

I am not the person to ask if you wish to remain strictly with christianity, but I am pretty sure that simple stuff like breath meditation is not heresy. It is not like you are praising Shiva. If someone thinks it is, I would pretty much take it as another proof that the churches in their sectarian zealotry are creations of men rather than anything divine. There is a bit of truth in christianity, and it has lessons to teach. I have a fondness for Augustine of Hippo and Padre Pio in particular. God is real. The worldly crap we can read and see and touch, in my opinion, are mostly man-made and more often than not molded to fit political expediency. I remember reading that the gnostics of old used to believe in a more complete form of the faith, even incorporating reincarnation. And what would they do in the desert except meditate? They got massacred of course, by the pre-schism church which turned into catholic and orthodox. The waters being muddled the way that they are by thousands of years of evil and corruption, knowing what to practice and not is really hard. I see many claiming there is a path of ascension within christiaity, but I don't see any proof of it. Just like there isn't one to be found in most forms of purged/fragmented pagan religions. There are just remnants left everywhere and piecing it all together is very hard. There is no single volume that tells all truth and nothing but truth. The path is overgrown and full of pot holes. I put a lot of emphasis on intuition. Some at least know truth when they see it. I hope I am one such. Perhaps? Maybe just a fool. I can see the road, but I am just a few steps along. I do not believe in Hell, and I am quite sure I am not evil, so I hope dearly that is not where I will end up. And I do hope my influence saying this isn't a negative one. As I see it, it is wiser to move beyond what the religious institutions tell you, all of them. Trying to fish for eternal truths is hard and one will always find dead ends and perhaps even things that are harmful. God knows that is true. I really wish it was as easy as joining up, showing up to church on a regular basis and loving Jesus. It isn't. Your actions in life matter greatly, the small stuff not so much. Then again, the large accomplishments consist of smaller ones. That bears thinking about. Spiritual techniques for expanding your consciousness and thus changing the way you act is also important. But it ultimately boils down to what you do, not how theologically correct you are. I have had several different faiths through my several lifetimes. Never been to hell, that's for sure. The closest to what I have seen is the greek and roman version. Elysium. I have no knowledge of other places, but perhaps different kinds of people go to different kinds of places. I suppose that would make a lot of sense.

Far off topic. But hey, I always do that. My take is that you should breathe in whatever manner you wish. If anyone says differently, have a laugh and move on. Dogma is the enemy of truth.

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. JonhOliver

JonhOliver Member

I will agree with you that the christian church has sometimes been an obstacle to gnosis, and that through it's sectarianism has persecuted some of the west's highest wisdom like the hermetic tradition. Having said that, the path for metaphysical realization in Christianity has always been there, and leading people to have direct knowledge of god has always been Jesus main's message, "the kingdom of heaven is within you". You can also see that, by the existence of christian mystics like Eickhart, St jonh of the cross, Jacob Boehme, Swedenborg, etc... that explain a metaphysical system in line with other traditions like for example the vedic one.
    The failures of the exoteric institution of the church, don't affect the value of it's esoteric doctrine or of the biblical revelation.

If you want to know more about this, i encourage to read gornahoor, alongside his other blog meditations on the tarot, and the book entitled meditation on the tarot by Valentin Tomberg, which i still haven't read, but from what i've read about it must be quite amazing. There's also the fullness of god by Schuon that i would highly recommend you to read.

• Useful Useful x 1
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice