1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Metropolis vs. Countryside

Discussion in 'General Discussions' started by Azaeroe, 13 January 2018 at 01:23.

1. Azaeroe

Azaeroe Member

Does any one have any rants about the vices of the modern high-technology Metropolitan lifestyle?

As for me, I believe the high-technology metropolis reduces life to a series of mere conveniences, which is most exemplified in its huge and visually hideous shopping malls. It could very well be that the religious Right are popular in the country, but just the same Liberalism is popular in the high-technology metropolis through the ever-increasing demand for schizophrenia-inducing media. My concern is with the quality of life under a system in which the media stultifies one intellectually, morally and in other respects, aesthetically; Where technology is collected simply as a means of convenience, which is what separates metropolitan life from a genuine passion for the country; The lack of necessity to surround oneself with higher aesthetic qualities- raw nature and pre-modern peasant-like architecture. There are many people who purposefully live in rural areas out of a passion for a low-technology non-metropolitan way of life. As is sometimes said, life in rural areas is less convenient, so why would someone go out of their way to move to the country if not to escape the high-technology mechanical-industrial metropolitan dystopia? There is of course the factor of its visual beauty- this is not the visual beauty of neo-Classical architecture, but in some cases old towns made largely of wood, stone [in outward appearance] and other previously non-synthetic materials or mimicries thereof or more importantly raw and naked nature- meadows, trees, lakes and the sort. High-technology media is produced by the modern city because it is there that the pieces that amalgamate to produce media occur- the money from the urban bourgeoisie, the demand for reiterated but slightly altered technologies and the demand for a watered-down safe space in which greed, immorality and intellectual stultification are tolerated and indeed glorified. There are of course smaller newspapers outside cities, but generally speaking the demand for technology and the media associated with it exists with in the techno-industrial centre, otherwise why else would it exist? That is what people flock to, because they are lost.

Last edited: 13 January 2018 at 01:46
    • Like Like x 3
  2. Raisin

Raisin Senior Member Staff Member

One point which doesn't get observed enough: The revolutionary nature of the automobile. In itself it has been promoted as this symbol of bourgeois individualism and commodity-fetishism (while it is also significantly proletarian and mass-oriented), but in its consequences it has been devastating to the socio-spiritual structures of our living conditions. Cities take up twice as much space as their buildings require thanks to cars (road-space went from 10% of a city, 25% tops, to being over 50% of most cities), - with logistical environments being far more sterile than even the sea of buildings which define cities per se, - people have to experience the, as you phrase it, schizophrenia-inducing conditions of transportation rather than remaining concrete and grounded by physically walking through their environment, there are no longer as many market traders or conversations on a street since roads have been brutalised by oceans of tarmac, etc. Look at the people who planned the first great metropolis conditions of the USA: All were obsessed by demolishing entire communities to replace them with highways, fed from middle-class suburbs and sub-proletarian "projects" (both of which only exist as living conditions because they are connected by mechanical-logistical veins).

Only problem is: Urban planning is split between corporate technocrats and bleeding-heart types, and you've got to be a real nerd to even begin to think about the actual blue-prints for metropolitan life.

• Agree Agree x 3
  3. Werifesterian

Werifesterian Senior Member

I have often remarked how our civilisation has been literally deformed in order to accommodate the automobile and that things have now reached the point where it is almost impossible to function in society unless you do have one of the things. Don't even get me started on all the children's entertainment that features anthropomophicised cars as characters. No one seems to consider the implications of encouraging children to identify with machines.

I remark and remark on these things, but even supposedly iconoclastic people in my ambit simply tune me out. I might as well be addressing, well, a car.

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. Myrddin

Myrddin Senior Member

So its like being Captain Richard in Glass Bees??

5. Myrddin

Myrddin Senior Member