Never Talk To The Police

Discussion in 'Political Theory & Philosophy' started by Lithium, 16 March 2017.

1. Lithium

Lithium Member

I apologize for the lower resolution quality of this video. I also understand that this lawyer is specifically talking about American law but I do still believe that this line of thinking is valid in Europe and almost all countries except for those where the police can be easily bribed such as parts of Africa and the Philippines.

This is a lecture that I saw a long time ago and it has stuck in my mind since then. It is rather unsettling to think that, no matter the circumstances, a police officer cannot testify on your behalf as a witness. They can only testify on the prosecution's side.

Just like with religious rules it is often extremely counter intuitive to follow a guideline that someone else has laid out for us even if there are a number of logical reasons why following such a rule is a good idea. You would think that being open and honest is the very best way to handle a situation where you are convicted of a crime. There are, however, many encounters in life where being kind or lax to even a small degree can put you in harms way. When certain problems can take months or years to remedy having a solid idea of what steps to follow is essential because making the correct first move allows you to cover the rest of your bases later on.

Television and movies these days promote the idea that being a slick talker and out-witting the police is something that happens on occasion. The very obvious issue with that is that any intelligent criminal or innocent individual, instead of even saying anything at all, would use their right to remain silent as means to prevent themselves from providing any evidence that might convict them.

I know in England that the police carry around batons and most do not have guns. This is not enough to convince me that the English police, or any type of European police, are somehow less dangerous or are less likely to put you in jail or prison. Remember that even if the normal and exterior function of the police is to keep people safe and investigate crimes that they are the first line of offense in a system that, without proper protection, could have you spending the rest of your life confined to a cage.

Last edited: 4 January 2018
    • Like Like x 1
  2. Bast

Bast Member Sustaining Member

By the way, part 2 is even better. You hear from a detective with 30 years in law enforcement tell the simple fact from his side - which remains don't talk to the police.

And yes, according him, European police are worse than American police, because we still have more protections under law than they have.

Which means, for instance, if your loicense for that loicense is expired, you aren't getting beaten that evening for being a white male in public.:cool:

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice