1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. Celtic Skogsra

Celtic Skogsra Heroic Member

I just want things back as they were; its not a nostalgia for a past I hated but for a time there was a hope of positive change. Its a very cynical nostalgia, not for what happened before but for my false awareness of better potential, then. Halfway between nostalgia and sickness for what might have been.

Sunt lacrimae rerum et mentem mortalia tangunt.

2. Celtic Skogsra

Some time ago I got lost in an English coastal town I know. The vehicle that brought me was only a street away yet still I got lost in the town. It was scary at the time because, though I get lost in familiar places before, it was that time so close to the car. And though I have problems with episodic memory it usually affects a longer time period such as weeks, months or years - indeed I've reckoned years of my life must be forgotten, which in all must surely be for the best. By episodic memory I mean I recall facts easily and am otherwise lucid but I have trouble with the context (order, timing) they happened.

The incident in the town is maybe unique, but the memory shit has gotten worse. And I don't like it.

3. Werifesterian

Werifesterian Senior Member

Gene Wolfe wrote a novel called Soldier of the Mist about a ancient Greek mercenary who, thanks to a head wound, has no long-term memory. He wakes every morning not knowing who he is or anything about his life. The book takes the form of the diary he keeps and has to re-read every day to know what is going on. As a side effect, he is able to see Gods, which makes him a valuable pawn in the political games of the period.

I've had some experience with lost memory myself, thankfully it was only a matter of a few hours, so I can relate.

For a contrast, see Wolfe's most famous work, The Book of the New Sun, whose protagonist suffers from a perfect memory and cannot forget anything. (That series should be of considerable interest to members here as it deals with the end of one historical cycle and the beginning of the next. It's also just plain brilliant.)

• Interesting Interesting x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  4. Celtic Skogsra

(Edited/deleted)

Last edited: 26 December 2016