Space Colonization

Discussion in 'Science & Technology' started by Valvar, 27 October 2014.

1. What are your thoughts on space exploration and colonization? Is living on another planet (Mars being the only relevant planet at this time) an idea that you find interesting, or even acceptable in the first place?
    If we are to believe people like Elon Musk, if everything goes as planned, we may have a small colony on Mars by 2040, and a colony of a million people within a century (here's a great interview with him on the subject: http://aeon.co/magazine/technology/the-elon-musk-interview-on-mars/).
    Do you think it is our duty to increase the chances that mankind survives for billions of years, or are such endeavours merely illusory?

Last edited: 28 October 2014
    • Like Like x 2
  2. The Fool

The Fool Second Lieutenant Sustaining Member
    1. Lumine Boreali Gentlemen's Club
    2. Neoplatonism

I find it cool in a science fiction sense, but for the most part, I think whatever real push for space colonisation exists is simply the product of the same disordered psychology that causes transhumanists to want to escape the human form itself. It's a kind of anti-human eschatology, a destructive, nihilistic pseudo-faith.

• Superb Superb x 3
  3. renownedwolf

renownedwolf Heroic Member

It is merely an inevitable extension of mans (I use that term loosely) fight to conquer the hostile forces of nature/universe and perhaps a necessary step, but there seems to be very little in the way of a spiritual endeavour involved; merely more shallow materialism. What wecould likely get is Star Trek neo-communist egalitarianism in the face of galactic brutalities in which we should rather get a Warhammer 40,000 Imperium and a God Emperor. ;)

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  4. Well, that's the interesting thing. What form of government would form on a Mars colony? The environment would be utterly hostile, and the resources probably ultra-scarce at times. The inhabitants, however, would be some of the most intelligent people from Earth, and many of them would probably be capitalists (seeing as it will cost quite a bit to go to Mars). I doubt Elon Musk himself is even remotely communist, though he did mention that one million people would ensure the necessary genetic diversity (this could potentially mean all sorts of other stuff, but let's not put words in the man's mouth).
    But what do you think of colonizing Mars as a parallel to colonizing the undiscovered parts of Earth as we already did? Going to another planet is somewhat similar to going to another, unknown, continent (except this time there are probably no natives to oppress :-P)...

• Like Like x 1
  5. Olavsson

Olavsson First Lieutenant Staff Member
    2. Neoplatonism

I'm not against space exploration and colonization in principle. But: Many on the more generic anti-liberal Right celebrate such impulses as the Faustian quest of the West. As a Traditionalist, I'm naturally more reserved about such enthusiasms. Faustianism is after all one of the major components of Modernity, and has as such created innumerable problems in its never-ending thirst for crossing more boundaries, rebelling against the natural order and, like Promotheus, attempting to forcefully gain access to what does not rightfully belong to one. (An excellent example of which is the manipulation of the genome). Spengler considered the Gothic cathedral of the Middle Ages, reaching high up towards the sky, as a symbol of Western Faustian culture. This parallel is not unproblematic, for one important reason: The Gothic cathedral represents a truly vertical quest for genuine transcendence and the alignment to higher realities or states of being. This is a major characteristic of all the historical cultures that Guenon would considered Traditional in the superior sense of the word, from ancient Egypt to imperial China to the Indo-Aryan east. Faustianism, to the contrary, seeks that which is without limits, but as restless becoming without a centre, a "scattering of forces" on the horizontal plane as Evola would have expressed it - to conquer all the limits of the horizontal plane, but without any true orientation towards that which is above, metaphorically speaking.

This is even the only principle that space colonization can follow in our age. Under different civilizational circumstances, however, space colonization can even be an extension of the quest for authentic imperium, but only if imperium is the reigning standard, an already existing absolute centre. Lacking this, an expansion into space will no more represent the principle of imperium than what certain factions of the Western elite's desire for globalism does. Who cares for physical conquest of other planets when our civilization on earth is rotting from within? What can it be other than the return, in a new form, of the Faustian Western colonialism that in the end only speeded up the process of dissolution in Europe itself? These are things to keep in mind.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Superb Superb x 1
  6. But could not also expansion into space represent a sort-of exodus, perhaps with Biblical parallels, an abandonment of a rotting system? It reminds me somewhat of the plot of Atlas Shrugged (which I have not actually read), where John Galt creates 'Galt's Gulch', to which all of the brilliant men and women of society escape, leaving the corrupt Marxist system to collapse without those who unwillingly uphold it.
    I don't think 'conquest' is the same as 'transgression'. In some cases, like with genetic manipulation, the lines may be blurry, but with space exploration I have a hard time identifying transgressive attributes. If conquering other planets is transgressive, why was conquering other continents not so? It was a long time ago that we left Eden.
    As for the Faustian thirst, I think C.S. Lewis was right in recognizing it not as a thirst for knowledge, but as a thirst for material fulfilment and power for its own sake. Both sides of that coin are possible when it comes to space exploration.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  7. Olavsson

Olavsson First Lieutenant Staff Member
    2. Neoplatonism

I think I made clear in my post that space exploration can even be the expression of genuine imperium. I just have a hard time seeing that happen with the current civilizational environment. Yes, in theory, such colonization could represent the abandoning of a decadent and destructive system on earth in order to build something healthier starting on new ground. But having a high IQ and access to advanced technology that would facilitate for such an adventure does not equal having the "spiritual prerequisite" for being able to construct a cultural matrix that is superior to or separate from the reigning standard on earth in any other way than being more efficient politically, economically etc.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  8. K8r

K8r Junior Member

I think we should only go so far.
    I believe that these big galactic systems generate shields for themselves much like the earth has a shield.

That's as far as I'll go with that.

9. The Fool

The Fool Second Lieutenant Sustaining Member
    2. Neoplatonism

Without meaning to be rude, what's the point of saying something so cryptic as to be meaningless, and then refusing to say any more?

• Agree Agree x 2
  10. Boreas

Boreas Senior Member Staff Member Sustaining Member

I believe we have to change our mind before colonizing another planets. What's the point in going to another planet if we can't get along with our close ones? I strongly believe that the only option for us is to grow spiritually. Then we can reach the stars. The Faustian project is doomed from the start, I don't believe in it.

• Agree Agree x 3
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice