1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The horse, the wheel and the language by David Anthony

Discussion in 'Literature' started by JonhOliver, 19 August 2018.

1. JonhOliver

JonhOliver Member

This is a very interesting and informative book, regarding European pre-history and the spreading around the world of the Indo-Europeans. The author is a bit of a liberal, as he takes the time in the initial chapter to condemn racism and the idea that indo-Europeans were some mythical superior people, but besides that he doesn't make any more political statements.
    The book is very "academic" so to speak, with most of it just being him showing archaeological evidence, with some chapter dedicated to explain linguistics and it's relation with archaeology. He doesn't delve a lot into myths and their religion, or try to link them with Hyperborea or Thule, but i guess that his should be expected from a book that wants to get scientific recognition nowadays. Regardless some of the events in the book seem to have some linkage with mythological events, although i'll write about this later on since it's just my speculation.

https://www.amazon.com/Horse-Wheel-Language-Bronze-Age-Eurasian/dp/069114818X

• Agree Agree x 1
  2. Arboreality

Arboreality Member

I've read this book as well. It gets a bit bogged down describing the intricacies of various archaeological sites. Personally I find that stuff fascinating but I can understand if others don't. Overall it's a very good book, especially from a linguistics perspective.