The use of friendship for a traditional man

Discussion in 'Traditional Living' started by Posidonius, 16 November 2018.

1. Posidonius

Posidonius Member

Greetings gentlemen,

I have been thinking about this question, in one form or another, for quite some time already. I would highly appreciate input by any of you, for I deem this topic very important – and yet I did not manage to come up with many answers on my own.

On the one hand, Evola (in his The Doctrine of Awakening and Ride the Tiger) powerfully advocates heroic loneliness and detachment, ultimate self-sufficiency, and inner abandonment of the world. Personally, I see a lot of wisdom in that. But on the other hand, I also wonder: what about friendship and companionship? Do those things hold any value for a traditional man? They probably did, in some civilizations. But if yes, then on what basis? After all, they hardly lead to "Awakening" or "Ultimate Liberation" (as would Evola the Buddhist rightly point out). If anything, they may lead to weakness (after all, if somebody needs friends - is that not a weakness already, and would giving in to that not only intensify it further? And if somebody does not need friends, then why have any?) Let me now quote Evola himself on the matter:

"The Buddha recommended that two disciples should not take the same road. The essential point, in any case, was the absence of bonds and of the desire for company, a liking for solitude, a freedom. "Flee society as a heavy burden, seek solitude above all."' Having much to do, being busy with many things, avoiding solitude, living with people at home and in worldly surroundings—these are so many more "unfavourable conditions for the battle.” One who is not free from the bond of family—it is said in particular—may certainly go to heaven, but will not achieve awakening. "Let the ascetic be alone: it is enough that he has to fight with himself.” "Only of an ascetic who dwells alone, without company, is it to be expected that he will possess pleasure in renunciation, pleasure in solitude, pleasure in clam, pleasure in awakening, that he will possess this pleasure easily, without difficulty, without pain.''"

Last edited: 17 November 2018
  2. s3v

s3v Member

The former. Solitude brings infinitely greater wisdom than kinship.

3. Praetor

Praetor Senior Member

It seems to me that you are conflating a number of different propositions together. Being "needy" is hardly the same as having an appreciation for like-minded company. Nor is meaningful companionship an obstacle to spiritual attainment.

Furthermore, as far as Buddhism is concerned, you ought to take a look at this brief teaching on spiritual friendship.
    https://www.accesstoinsight.org/tipitaka/sn/sn45/sn45.002.than.html
    You can find further commentaries on the topic by searching for Kalyāṇa-mittatā or 'spiritual friend'.

• Like Like x 1
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice