1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Traditionalists' Cinémathèque

Discussion in 'Visual Art' started by Vavala, 16 August 2016.

1. Pangloss

Pangloss Senior Member

I tried starting up an LB film club, but no one seemed to want to take part. Maybe this thread will end up wetting people's appetites.

2. Vavala

Vavala Junior Member

"I tried starting up an LB film club, but no one seemed to want to take part. Maybe this thread will end up wetting people's appetites."

It is a very good idea indeed.

3. I'd like it, too. Only my online habits are rather shifty, so we'd have to plan some time in advance. What kind of shape would it take?
    Because right now my only experience with watching movies in the company of several people consists of me and my boyfriend trying not to strangle our friends when they bring up something like their grocery list or how "the protagonist reminds them of that one guy... oh you know... the one who played..... etc" during an important scene.

• Like Like x 1
  4. RiceNaydon

RiceNaydon Junior Member

I know this is a dormant thread, but I thought I'd contribute given the topic. Vavala has recommended many excellent films. Here are a few which are some of my favourites:

David Lynch - Blue Velvet, Mulholland Drive, Twin Peaks, The Straight Story (combines a sincere love of 50s Americana with grotesque surrealism, esotericism and Hindu concepts)

Hans Jurgen Syberberg - Confessions of Winifred Wagner, Hitler: A Film From Germany, Parsifal, Ludwig (uses Brechtian theatrics to explore the German soul, outspoken German national conservative)

Wim Wenders - Paris Texas, Alice in the Cities, Wings of Desire (examinations of alienation as a result of modernity)

Fritz Lang - M (critique of the Weimar Republic), Die Nibelungen (Blood and Soil infused adaptation of the titular epic German myth)

Franco Piavoli - Nostos: Il Ritorno (mesmerising and meditative adaptation of Homer's Odyssey, one of my all-time favourites)

I'm not sure if users would still want to start a film club, but I would happily contribute towards it if it were wanted.