What are you reading now?

Discussion in 'General Discussions' started by Werifesterian, 16 July 2017.

1. Azaeroe

Azaeroe Member

The Pike - Gabriele d'Annunzio - Poet, Seducer and Preacher of War -- Lucy Hughes-Hallett

2. Manu

Manu Señor Member Sustaining Member
    1. Norden
    2. Knights of the Iron Cross

El Cantar de Mio Cid

[​IMG]

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. Arboreality

Arboreality Member

This is one of my favorite feudal epic poems. El Campeador is truly an example of someone who ascended to mythical status through sacral war and virtue. His military career itself bears many examples of very good military leadership and tactics that were inspired by Antiquity while still being well adapted to the terrain and other conditions of Iberian warfare, especially at that time.

• Like Like x 1
  4. Azaeroe

Azaeroe Member

Homeric and Italian lie like burdens upon my heart. I learnt some Attic, but it is a drag.

5. Manu

Manu Señor Member Sustaining Member
    1. Norden
    2. Knights of the Iron Cross

I was tipped off on this and read it long ago, but I just finished re-reading it. Hadn't thought of it in many years. One of many reasons I love the late Harold Armstead Covington, who died on July 17th this year, is that he had a very, very deep well of knowledge. Not least of all arcane. This book proves that he knew exactly how things work, and that he himself knew much of his own previous lives. I strongly recommend it. Harold usually always wrote really important things in the form of novels. Do not be fooled by the form, it is quite serious in the message it relays. He nearly always was serious. This is no exception. It is pretty much right on the money. Read it if you can get a hold of it somewhere.

[​IMG]

6. Azaeroe

Azaeroe Member

Young Eliot

After this, I hope to read Greek history, in preparation for Roman and Italian history, which will inform my trip to Florence, Padua, Rapallo and Rome. Then maybe a text on Greek art, although I am honestly not that interested in that. Then perhaps another read of an English prose translation of Homer's poems. Then some biographies of French, Irish and US-American poets and novelists. Then a text on Roman architecture (Can not find any on Greek). Then the history of Rome, Italy and France, Herodotus', Thucydides' and Plutarch's historical writings, more biographies, but of Bonaparte and Italian poets, ending with D'Annunzio and continuing with his novels, Virgil's song of Aeneas and other Latin poems.

Last edited: 18 October 2018 at 16:35
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice