1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

What are you reading now?

Discussion in 'General Discussions' started by Werifesterian, 16 July 2017.

1. Azaeroe

Azaeroe Member

Since my last post, I have concerned myself with non-fiction, short stories, & Greek drama.

Right now I am reading Metamorphoses by Ovid.

Last edited: 5 October 2017
    • Like Like x 1
  2. Plantagenet

Plantagenet Heroic Member

I recently reread "Awakening to the Tao", a text by 18th/19th century Daoist Liu Yiming. Always a good read and highly recommended.

Now am am reading "Wales and the Britons, 350-1064" about the Britons/Brythonic people during the period of the Late Roman Empire to near the dawn of the Norman age. Personally I've always found the Britons/Cumbrians interesting: the Celtic Arthurian material, Taliesin and the bardic tradition, the myths of the Mabinogion, the symbol of the dragon, etc. and like Tolkien I find the Welsh language attractive, especially in written form (perhaps why I like his Elves as well.)

I think the tale of the Bretons is interesting as well, of a people leaving their homeland to carve out a kingdom/duchy across the sea, successfully fighting off the Franks on multiple occasions, defeating the Vikings, and finally some returning as conquerors with the Normans to their old homeland where they would remain a part of the ruling/noble class and play a role in the spread of the Matter of Britain and Arthurian chivalry across the feudal Western world.

• Like Like x 1
  3. Werifesterian

Werifesterian Senior Member

At the moment, I am reading the collected correspondence of H.P. Lovecraft and Clark Ashton Smith, just published and well worth getting if you have interest in either man's work.

When finished with that, I shall begin my annual Halloween ritual of reading Roger Zelazny's A Night in the Lonesome October.

• Like Like x 1
  4. Azaeroe

Azaeroe Member

Since my last post, I have concerned myself with novels and autobiographies.

Right now I am reading Over Nine Waves again.

I'll wait until someone posts a new comment before making a new one myself. The most recent pieces of literature I have concerned myself with are

Essays and Aphorisms - Arthur Schopenhauer
    The book of Fairy and Folk Tales of Ireland - William Butler Yeats
    Selected Writings on Art and Literature - Charles Baudelaire
    W. B. Yeats: A Life - Volume I - The Apprentice Mage - R. F. Foster

Last edited: 7 November 2017
  5. Werifesterian

Werifesterian Senior Member

Had the urge to re-read Huysmans' Against Nature (the Robert Baldick translation from Penguin Classics) again. The novel is full of savoury anti-Modernist rants that have, if anything, become more pertinent over time. Here's a personal favourite from Chapter XII—essentially a review of Catholic polemics of the day—and is a quotation from the Comte de Falloux:

'As for you, you doctrinaire Utopians who shut your eyes to human nature, you ardent atheists who feed on hatred and delusion, you emancipators of woman, you destroyers of family life, you genealogists of the simian race, you whose name was once an insult in itself, be well content: you will have been the prophets and your disciples will be the pontiffs of an abominable future!'​

6. Myrddin

Myrddin Senior Member

Currently in third chapter of of Land of Heroes-A retelling of the Kalevala. Had this sitting on my bookshelf for 4 months but was busy with other books. Great read so far. Werifesterian love that quote

• Like Like x 1
  7. Azaeroe

Azaeroe Member

Das Nibelungenlied.

Last edited: 12 November 2017 at 18:46
  8. Manu

Manu Señor Member

[​IMG]

THE BARNACLES OF ÆGIR
    By Gregory Kay

Long story short, this is sort of a crossover between Robinson Crusoe and Dune, written by a racially aware, christian southern nationalist. It is extremely good, despite a few typos. Not too many. I strongly recommend the Warlord Series by the same author.