1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

What are you reading now?

Discussion in 'General Discussions' started by Werifesterian, 16 July 2017.

1. Azaeroe

Azaeroe Member

In the end I ended up picking up Homer again while I wait for a book of Novalis' collected works to arrive [in German.] I also have my eyes on a book about German Romanticism.

I mentioned Charles Lutwidge Dodgson's Alice a few posts ago. I plan on reading Sylvie and Bruno some day, a some what lesser known of his works.

Still waiting on a book about the influence of Ancient Greek culture on Richard Wagner's Ring cycle.

2. Werifesterian

Werifesterian Senior Member

I'm reading the Seidensticker translation, which I prefer over Royal Tyler's even though all the explanatory material in Tyler is very useful. I really should find a good reader's guide.

I cannot help but wonder what would happen if one were to combine Genji with influences from Lovecraft and Clark Ashton Smith. Maybe some William Hope Hodgson for good measure.

3. Azaeroe

Azaeroe Member

The Good Soldier - Ford Madox Ford

4. Plantagenet

Plantagenet Heroic Member

In a further investigation of ancient Brittonic/Welsh traditions I've recently completed a historical work, namely Tim Clarkson's The Men of the North: The Britons of Southern Scotland. Decent book as far as the obscure topic matter goes.

Some interesting historical observations regarding the Britons after some research I may as well mention here: it seems that the dynasty of the old kingdom of Wessex (and possibly the Mercian dynasty as well) was actually native British in origin which subsequently Anglicized. What's interesting is that it was Wessex which went on to unify and become the basis of England and thus the dynasty responsible for this wasn't Anglo-Saxon but rather British in origin. Furthermore the Stuarts of Scotland were of Breton origin and became the first dynasty to rule over a united Britain, thus giving a Brythonic origin for the United Kingdom as well. Finally the Welshman and occultist John Dee is supposed to have come up with the idea of the British Empire and it was under the Stuarts that the Empire got started, thus giving the British Empire a Brythonic origin as well, whether as an idea or fact.

In any case, currently reading a perhaps more fanciful work but supposedly interesting nonetheless, namely Nikolai Tolstoy's The Quest for Merlin. I suppose the argument of the book is that Merlin was a historical figure from Lowland Scotland and also a remnant of British paganism or druidism, exploring connections between Merlin and the gods Lugh/Odin.

Last edited: 14 January 2018
    • Interesting Interesting x 1
  5. fschmidt

fschmidt Senior Member

The Noble Quran

Recommended by my mosque and approved by Saudi religious authorities.

• Funny Funny x 1
  6. Azaeroe

Azaeroe Member

The Ressurection of Hungary- A Parallel for Ireland - Arthur Griffith

After this I may read Literary Theory and a book on the influence of Greek culture on the Ring cycle.

7. Plantagenet

Plantagenet Heroic Member

Currently attempting to do an in depth cross study of these two works:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    And thereafter attempt to seriously apply the most basic or beginner elements that I am able to apply without initiation or finding a living guide in hopes of eventually finding the latter.

8. Werifesterian

Werifesterian Senior Member

Arthurian Romances by Chretien de Troyes. Everyman edition. I've been meaning to read these for years and as a copy was just dropped in my lap, so to speak, I reckoned it was time.

9. Azaeroe

Azaeroe Member

Diary/Novel of a Short-Sighted Adolescent - Mircea Eliade

and an anthology of Literary Theory

If anyone knows of any similar texts- Please tell me.

Last edited: 21 February 2018
  10. Azaeroe

Azaeroe Member

I may as well start this up again.

-

Reading
    The Aleph
    Αριστοτέλης
    Novalis

Plan to Read Soon
    Joyce
    Πλωτῖνος