What should my next warfare write-up be about?

Discussion in 'Warfare' started by Arboreality, 28 September 2018.

Tags:
?

What should my next write-up be about?

1. Admiral Yi Sun-Sin

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. Roman von Ungern-Sternberg

66.7%
  3. Khosrow I Anushiruwān

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  4. Jacques Cathelineau

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  5. Ernst Jünger

16.7%
  6. José María Gárate Córdoba

16.7%
  7. Steppe Nomad Warriors

16.7%
  8. The Winged Hussars

16.7%
  9. The Nizari Assassins

16.7%
  10. Pre-Agricultural Warfare

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  11. Trench and Gas Warfare

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  12. Industrialized War

16.7%
  13. Aerial and Artillery Superiority

16.7%
  14. Modern and Post-Modern Propaganda

50.0%
  15. Nuclear War

50.0%
  16. War in the Vendée and the Franco-French genocide.

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  17. Mahdist War

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  18. Battle of al-Qādisiyyah

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  19. Battle of Arausio

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  20. The Irish Troubles

16.7%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. Arboreality

Arboreality Member

I debated posting this in General Discussions, but I've decided that my next write-up will be here, therefore all of these potential topics are warfare-related. I have other things planned for other sub-forums, but for now I'm interested in what my next post should be for here. It's more likely than not that I'll get to the other listed topics in time, reliant on the ones in 2nd, 3rd, 4th, etc. place. I have rough drafts of all of them written up already, but there is one I will focus on refining in preparation for posting.

Therefore, the question is, which one(s) do you want to see the most? Which are you particularly interested in? Some of these posts focus on a specific military leader, warrior, unit, or army. Others focus on specific eras of warfare. Some options explore the physical and metaphysical implications of specific innovated weapons, tactics, and technologies. There are also posts exploring a specific war or series of wars and the physical/metaphysical implications of that as well. Some will be a mix of one or more of these.

With that being said, choose the five that you want the most. I look forward to seeing the results. Feel free to give your reasoning or other feedback in replies. The write-up itself will come out in a week or so, slightly depending on the results.

• Like Like x 1
  2. Boreas

Boreas Senior Member Staff Member Sustaining Member

I would especially like to read your thoughts about nuclear war.

• Like Like x 1
  3. Manu

Manu Señor Member Sustaining Member
    1. Norden
    2. Knights of the Iron Cross

We are at the end of the age of air superiority and missiles. Nuclear and otherwise. Technology is either already at or will be at a stage when it is far easier to shoot down anything in the sky than to do damage from the sky. It is why Putin is being cocky, I believe. It will bring down battle to the ground again. Which is why Russia is going for badass things like the T-14 Armata MBT. It is not my thoughts alone, it is the next step of development, quite simply. Anyone with a mind should be able to see this. I would like your thoughts on the near future of war. Perhaps you have a new piece of insight?

• Like Like x 1
  4. Arboreality

Arboreality Member

I definitely plan to touch on this principle when I end up writing about it. Like you said, I think that ground-to-air technology has been getting a lot better and will be focused on more and more. In the short term things will go in that direction. However, consistent with the metaphysics of our decline and the Involution of War, in the long term warfare will only become more and more profane, more, "rational", less organic, less virtuous and more materialistic. Ironically, as humanity becomes more humanist, everything about their existence, including war will become less and less human in both method and motive.

I see much less face-to-face combat in the future and more impersonal and increasingly convoluted missiles being slugged/intercepted from long distances, largely done by thoughtless computers who have no stake in the war they fight. They will come up with countermeasures for countermeasures, aberration after aberration to keep things chugging along. Maybe cyberattacks or ground robots will come into play. I'm not an expert on military technology itself in the 21st century, most of my familiarity in that is with the late Cold War and before. I think that we can predict the future more reliably by examining the metaphysical/teleological nature of war in this Dark Age rather than the physical/technological.

War will be, "efficient" which is to say that it will drag on and on, at best drones throwing themselves apathetically at each other, volleys and volleys missiles reigning down on their targets, most getting intercepted but a few managing to connect. The scout will be replaced with the satellite camera. Involved instinct will be replaced with detached calculation. I'm mainly talking about the most influential entities in the future, the ones with the most access to such technology and innovation. War itself might be rare beyond hoping to secure what resources haven't already been used up or getting rid of, "problematic" elements. If it's not rare, it'll be a constant of life, no resolution, just blind, profane death and destruction.

In the decline and collapse of society, there will be plenty of guerrillas who fight with low-tech and high-courage. Individuated by a devastated environment, they'll be from pseudo-initiations themselves, anarchists, neo-luddites, reactionaries, and nihilists abound. They will fight over what remains of what they'd call tradition and morality. Quite frankly they'll largely be the targets of the aforementioned organized, "armies" because they don't fit into an increasingly corrupt System. These will be the last warriors approaching anything to sacral. They will find ways to adapt to technology that makes it harder for them to compete, such methods will be very fatalistic, disruption-oriented, and ruthless.

Last edited: 30 September 2018
    • Like Like x 1
  5. Arboreality

Arboreality Member

The survey has been running for a while. It's a tie between Roman von Ungern Sternberg, Modern and Post-Modern propaganda, and Nuclear War. I've decided that the tie-breaking is going to be mine. The next write-up will be focusing on Sternberg. I will be posting it in a few days at the most.

Last edited: 3 October 2018
    • Like Like x 1
    • Superb Superb x 1
  6. Manu

1. Norden

What do you define as a few days? Are you an Ent with a longer perspective of time? :rofl: I was and am actually looking forward to it.

7. Arboreality

Arboreality Member

I've been much much busier this month than I ever could've anticipated, it might take a while.

• Like Like x 1
  8. Manu

1. Norden

I hope it is not something negative/bad.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice